Sound Processor '12 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sound Processor '12 JK

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
TheCrut

Sound Processor '12 JK

I'm looking at upgrading the stock stereo with a sound processing unit, amplifier, speakers, and sub. I read a post a while back Here that talks about upgrading the stock head unit with a sound processor. The premise is that the stock head unit cuts low frequencies or shapes the sound to make the stock speakers sound better. When aftermarket amps are installed, it's crap in and crap out.

I took to some engineering skills and hooked up my laptop running some free real time analyzer software and playing some pink noise through the CD player, and found that this just doesn't seem to hold up (see attached picture).

The problem is, my laptop has a sucky sound card, so I couldn't get any higher than volume level 6 before it started clipping the signal, so I can't get any idea of how the frequency response changes at higher volume levels (you know, like the ones I listen to). I know that some stock manufacturers cut the bass at higher volume levels.

Rather than spend the money on a good RTA or soundcard, I'm taking to the forums to see if anyone has done this test already and could share the results. Do I need to spend $300 on the JL Cleansweep, or can I get by with a less expense line output converter?

jeep-stock-rta-volume-6.jpg  
TheCrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
TheCrut

Update

Success! I just added about 100k ohms resistance to my measuring circuit and was able to get around that pesky sound card clipping.

The results are still very good. At volume level 22, the spectrum is still very flat with the exception of the super low range, though 20Hz by itself comes through nicely. I would say we are fortunate with the stock system that doesn't shape the waves.

That being said, anyone have good luck installing an amp with speaker level inputs, or should I still be trying to get a line converter?
jeep-stock-rta-volume-22.jpg  
TheCrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
CrutchfieldMark
2004 WJ 

I think if you used a lower cost line level converter, you're still going to get an improvement in sound replacing the follow on factory components. I think factory h/u's have gotten much better over the last few years and not at just adding features. Just my two cents worth.

[URL="www.crutchfield.com/I-rJP1c111/vehicles/Jeep-Car-Stereos-and-Speakers.html"]Crutchfield Fit Guide for Jeeps[/URL]
CrutchfieldMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jk , stereo system , stock head unit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.