Sound bar and 6.5" speakers. I read I may have problems with the stock head unit. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sound bar and 6.5" speakers. I read I may have problems with the stock head unit.

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sound bar and 6.5" speakers. I read I may have problems with the stock head unit.

I just bought these speakers (see link below) and I read that I may have some issues pushing them with the stock head unit. Could someone please explain to me why?

Speakers
Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver): Electronics

Thanks in advance,
Blake

Last edited by rbwamsley; 12-18-2009 at 08:52 AM..
rbwamsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
ihatefruitloops
2005 TJ Wrangler 

because they handle 60 watts and your stock headunit will only puch about 10 or so to them
ihatefruitloops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefruitloops View Post
because they handle 60 watts and your stock headunit will only puch about 10 or so to them
I understand that, but I have never heard of any issues with under powering a speaker. The only thing I see is that they wont be at their full potential. Am I missing something?
Unread 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
SirGCal

Well, it's a multi-part problem.

Underpowering speakers does a few things, but in and of itself isn't bad. It's these other things that become bad.

Simply, the speaker can't be controlled by the weak power source. Think of trying to drive a dump truck with a dirt-bike engine. You might actually get it to move, but not very well. At low volumes, this is fine and the speaker will do well. But when you start to try to push your volumes, the speaker's power-hungry nature will cause the power source to lose accurate control of the speaker. This can result in things like early distortion, added noise, all the way up to clipping and coil distortion that can actually damage the speaker.

The inverse (putting way too much power behind a speaker) is like putting a top fuel dragster engine in an otherwise stock sedan. First time on the gas hard, you explode parts left and right.

The perfect balance is giving the speaker the power it wants to properly operate without cooking it.Target is say 80-110% it's rated RMS potential. So with that speaker being rated 60W RMS and most of the stock TJ units I tested only having about 7W of output, you can see you're grossly underpowered. This is fine if you don't crank it. But if you try to boost it (even loud enough for topless on the highway may be too much), you'll eventually run into problems. Plus it will just generally sound bad at volume since you don't have the power to actually move the speaker.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.