Smoked Out Tail Lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Smoked Out Tail Lights?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
kdengs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Smoked Out Tail Lights?

I'm looking into options for smoked out rear tail lights and turn signal reflector covers for a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Any suggestions on a good manufacturer or online retailer? It's getting old sifting through inaccurate eBay postings with those key words...Thanks!

kdengs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do it yourself. Go to NAPA or whatever and get a product called VHT Niteshades. Spray on, clear coat, all done

Just don't do so much that you can't see the light!
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you want to make your tail lights darker so they're harder to see/notice by drunk or distracted drivers? Is this one of those form-over-function style-concern only things?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
canadiankush
1995 ZJ 

^^ right, i guess we shouldn't paint our vehicle any colour either because its too distracting or maybe we should put hundreds of reflectors all over the car.... why are you trying to justify drunk and distracted drivers? you can see the lights perfectly through the tint and if you cant then you shouldn't be driving.

@OP use VHT nightshade. i wouldn't go past 3-4 light coats though. i did 4 coats on my ranger and mine are nice and black and you can still see the lights perfectly.

heres the videos i used

canadiankush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankush View Post
^^ right, i guess we shouldn't paint our vehicle any colour either because its too distracting or maybe we should put hundreds of reflectors all over the car.... why are you trying to justify drunk and distracted drivers? you can see the lights perfectly through the tint and if you cant then you shouldn't be driving.]
What? I am trying to justify drunk and distracted drivers? What? How did my being concerned with them noticing darkened brake and tail lights as easily become justifying drunk and distracted drivers? That is what is defined as a real stretch.

Let me guess... you're 16-17 and you know it all already. My 21 year old son already knows it all too.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Im with Jerry on this. There is legal requirements and specs to how bright the various lights have to be on a vehicle. Spraying the turn/brake lenses with paint to make them darker may look cool, but may also reduce the effectiveness of alerting drivers to your actions. I'm waiting on the day when it makes the news, that a litigation attorney sues someone for painting over their brake lights, and causing their client to rear end the defendant.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm with Jerry on this too. I upgraded to high output LEDs after I almost got rear ended by a semi because my tail lights were coated in a bit of dirt reducing there output and he didn't see me braking. Now my buddy says he sees spots after sitting behind me at a light.
If you want to black out your lights and replace the Bulldog on the hood of a semi for an ornament go right ahead....weeds out the herd.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Be careful! I do not know about your state and I see people blacking out their headlights and taillights all the time here where I live, but it is illegal to blackout your headlights and taillights in a lot of states including Florida where I reside.
I do agree with Mr. Jerry that it could be a safety issue and I do not see the need for it.
floridajpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
beach81959
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you have to black out the lights, (you shouldn't) spray the inside of the lens. this way you won't have to worry about buffing the paint to a high gloss and you"ll get the same visual results and weather wont effect the paint. upgrade the bulbs to the brightest you can get (extra bright LED's?) so the people behind you might have a chance.
beach81959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea use the auto zone spray if you want to do it or some shops have like a tint vinyl you can put on the lights, but make sure its legal in your state I know here if you get rear ended with tint its your fault not the person that hit you.
Unread 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Azalin_00
1997 ZJ 

Wow! It seems around here that if u want to make a modification to ur jeep and someone doesn't like it, they bash u for it. Now I don't personally have my tailights smoked, but that doesn't mean imma bash someone who does. There's a lot of mods I see people do that I personally wouldnt do in a million years, but I'm not gonna talk down on them. For example: I don't like all the fog lights or jacked up ZJs, but I don't say anything.
My Jeep
Azalin_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin_00 View Post
Wow! It seems around here that if u want to make a modification to ur jeep and someone doesn't like it, they bash u for it.
Only reason the guys getting bashed is because doing anything to your tail or headlights is a major safety issue and in many places ILLEGAL on anything but show vehicles. I've almost rear ended a few idiots that have blacked out lights because you can see their lights.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Smoked tail lights are not illegal, especially not in California (and California is basically the worst state for these kinds of things). If your lights emit a visible red light then it's legal. There's plenty of ways to smoke tail lights safely, although I prefer them to be red.. High intensity LED bulbs can help out a lot. A good high intensity LED bulb will be notably brighter than the OEM incandescent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
I've almost rear ended a few idiots that have blacked out lights because you can see their lights.
CAN or can't? Either way it would partially be your fault because you failed to brake with an obstacle in front of you...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Smoked tail lights are not illegal, especially not in California (and California is basically the worst state for these kinds of things). If your lights emit a visible red light then it's legal. There's plenty of ways to smoke tail lights safely, although I prefer them to be red.. High intensity LED bulbs can help out a lot. A good high intensity LED bulb will be notably brighter than the OEM incandescent..

CAN or can't? Either way it would partially be your fault because you failed to brake with an obstacle in front of you...
Ok so I forgot the " 't" my bad. Like someone stated above if you get rear ended and your lights are smoked your the one at fault not the one that hit you. I upgraded to HI Leds in my Jeep because I had some dirt on my lights from a trip and almost became a hood ornament to an 18 wheeler. I'd rather be seen on the road than look cool thank you.

Just looked and the blacked out lights clause was not in this thread but I've seen it somewhere in a post on this forum. And FWIW lots of the highways and roads up here are not lit with streetlights every 100 feet. I've been driving on the highway at night and not seen a vehicle in front of me till my headlights were illuminating it. He did have tail lights but with the smoke tint it all but nullified their usefulness.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
There's plenty of ways to smoke tail lights safely, although I prefer them to be red.
You said it right there...safely. Problem is too many idiots put fancy covers over the lenses after they have blackened them right out which even further reduces their effectiveness.
Too bad it's going to take someone getting killed over it to make them change...I hope it's not someones baby it takes to do it.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Tags
aftermarket , cherokee , tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.