skipping/reception - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > skipping/reception

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-18-2001, 07:07 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

skipping/reception

I have a AIWA xcd417 w/ the detachable face. I just bought it new a few weeks ago from crutchfield w/there mounting kit and I have skipping when i go over a speed bump at anything over about 2 mph and I dont get good reception when im rolling. Sitting in my garage or driveway or redlight im fine. When im moving at all down the street i get bad reception. Ive put on a radioshack fmbooster and it has helped a lil but i still have the prob. A friend of mine has the same setup and no probs and I installed it for him. Any ideas on stopping the skipping or reception? The skipping is more important b/c i listen to cd's most of the time.

Unread 09-20-2001, 06:30 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

does everyone get crystal clear reception?
Unread 09-20-2001, 06:45 PM   #3
Jefff

Sounds like a dodgy stereo.

I have the factory stereo with the cd changer under the back seat. Yesterday I got my TJ airborne off a sand dune (about 3 feet - very scary) & the cd didnt skip at all
Jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2001, 09:15 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

well im not about to fork out another 260 for a head unit. The local stereo shop looked at it and said the head unit was fine and my installation looked professional so i think the next step is trying to secure it a little better so it doesnt move up and down in the console. Also i think new shcks may help. who knows but i miss listenin to stern in the mornin..
Unread 09-21-2001, 08:31 AM   #5
Jefff

New shocks to fix a cd player? that's going a bit too far.

Sometimes its not the bumps that stuff it up, its the vibration. That stuff can get past the ESP memory. Maybe try padding around the stereo, to see if it absorbs the vibes.

Does it do this when you have your subs going or not?
Jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2001, 02:53 PM   #6
mytjnamedrex

well my shocks are really worn out but i want them to last until christmas when i get new ones with my lift but i think it could be a reason cause im gettin thrown around whenever i hit a bump. The subs are always going but i tried it with both amp disconnected and just the head unit and front speakers and it did the same thing. I also tried a bag with tissue paper underneath and it helped just a lil but it still skips over the speed bumps(maybe 2-3 mph)
Unread 09-23-2001, 03:41 PM   #7
mytjnamedrex

was just thinking.......could the way that its grounded affect only reception because of the antenna i have it grounded to a metal screw that i think is good but would it matter for only FM radio stations and not cds?
Unread 09-23-2001, 03:54 PM   #8
RFWrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by mytjnamedrex:
I have a AIWA
Thats your problem right there.
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2001, 04:13 PM   #9
Willis91YJ

Rex,
As far as I see it you have a few options. First off RF isn't far off in that Aiwa is a little shifty but he's running some rockford fosgate stuff so don't take his word at face value. If I were you I would take everything you have ourchase from a mail-order catalog out send it back and tell them you want a refund including shipping for sending you a skippin disc player. Now outside of completely pawning responsability off on crutchfield and the SONY brand (yup thats right sony makes aiwa or vice versa) there is one thing you could do to help it. If you have checked the grounds all over and everything is kosher the the only thing left is to back strap it. In the box the deck came in should have been a piece or strapping material and a screw with a washer attached. Put the screw though the last hole in the strap and screw it into the hole directly in the middle of the back of the radio. Reinstall your deck and when finished, bend the strap and using a self tapping screw screw that bad boy as tight as you can get it to the fire-wall. These tricks are why you never hear people complaining about stereos they have professionally installed by car stereo-only (read doesnt sell refrigerators and t.v.'s too) stores. Best of luck bud and if you need any further help let me know and I'll do what I can for you

Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2001, 01:57 PM   #10
Willis91YJ

REX,
So what did you decide to do???
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Unread 10-02-2001, 02:42 PM   #11
mytjnamedrex

Im sorry i forgot to reply on that- I mounted the piece into the back and now it wont skip, well let me say that in normal driving it wont. I was offroad and tested it and it did rather well until i hit a few big bumps a lil too fast. Thanx for the help. As far as reception its a lil better but i still cant get a few of my old radio stations.
Unread 10-02-2001, 04:20 PM   #12
Willis91YJ

If you want to try a new antenna they are only like 17.50 I think is what we sell'em for. I firmly believ that there is a "hymen" if you will with antennas and you can only unplugem so many times before the contact surfaces suffer!
Willis
Unread 10-03-2001, 02:36 PM   #13
mytjnamedrex

i think ill try that. whats a good place b/c i tried radioshack and i think a coathanger would have worked better. Thanx for the help so far
Unread 10-03-2001, 03:51 PM   #14
Willis91YJ

Any small town car stereo shop (not a best buy or abc or something like that, but a place like "Jim's House of Car Stereo" or somethin like that) should have a huge selection of antennaes and can tell you which model is the one for a tj! Good Luck Man
Willis
Unread 10-03-2001, 06:42 PM   #15
mytjnamedrex

thanx willis i think im gonna take a drive down to auto radio and see if they can help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.