Sirius radio keeps switching over to regular?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Sirius radio keeps switching over to regular??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sirius radio keeps switching over to regular??

Hey all- just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? I have an '07 with just the regular single disk MP3 player and have never had an issue until now. One day my Sirius radio just inexplicably wouldn't get a signal and after silence for 10 seconds or so, just defaults to regular "terrestrial" radio. Seems like a Sirius Radio thing (and very well could be) and after calling them to "reflash" the signal, it seems to work until I shut off the Jeep. Then, same thing again. My question is, is there some something that could get old & age (antenna) or whatever that could be causing my issues? When it works, the reception is fine- so I was ruling out any issues with the satellite radio antenna on the roll-bar. Oh, and there are no issues with my account...my other car is fine. Sorry for the long post, but this is annoying.

Unread 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nobody else?!?
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

sounds like the problem is in your radio. probably a solder joint has come loose or something similar. easiest fix might be to replace your radio. maybe find a replacement from a newer model at your local jy for less money.
good luck to you.
Unread 05-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

^^ Thanks for the reply. It's just strange that when I call Sirius Radio to get the signal "refreshed" or whatever- it will work. But then later the radio doesn't pick up the signal and only works with the regular terrestrial signal.
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

did you check your antenna? make sure all the connections are tight at the radio and the antenna. also make sure the antenna itself isn't damaged.
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

No known issues with the antenna. Again, if I call in and get the signal "refreshed" with Sirius- all seems fine...till it happens again. I would think if the antenna was jacked up, I'd never receive the signal to begin with...but who knows.

I pretty much just listen to my ipod now in the Jeep- cause I can't stand regular radio & commercials. I guess i'll have to cancel the subscription in the Rubi.
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Indy

Your jeep is trying to tell you its silly to pay for radio.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
BorderTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Your jeep is trying to tell you its silly to pay for radio.
I'd rather pay $15/month to hear a variety vs listening to the same 10 songs on my local station. AND I work in a spot that's between antennas so I don't really get a good signal. XM is worth it for me.
BorderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderTJ View Post
I'd rather pay $15/month to hear a variety vs listening to the same 10 songs on my local station. AND I work in a spot that's between antennas so I don't really get a good signal. XM is worth it for me.
I have to agree ^

Broadcast radio has a playlist of about 10=15 songs mixed among commercials and DJ yip yap. I'll take Sat radio any day of the week.

Back on topic, How old is the receiver and is it built into the HU or separate unit? I have one that is about 7 or so years old and the antenna port on the radio itself is getting loose and won't see the antenna at times. I have to wedge a dime under one side of the dock to keep the contacts. I really need to fix it at some point or just get a new radio.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderTJ View Post
I canceled Sirius years ago because what they played was nearly predictable and I noticed repeats that made it not worth the $15 to me. Sirius was cool in the beginning but it didn't stand the test of time for me. There are only so many tunes that fit into a category, Sirius doesn't have special access to songs that aren't also played via free stations.

Heck Pandora is free and I see nothing that Sirius offers that Pandora does not. I can fine-tune my Pandora stations like telling it what I like or to never play certain artists or songs which can't be done with Sirius.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Heck Pandora is free and I see nothing that Sirius offers that Pandora does not.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you need cell service/WiFi in order to use Pandora right?

If that's the case then unfortunately it wouldn't work for me as many of the places I go to work have spotty or no coverage at all. Turning your phone off after leaving the shop so the battery don't go dead by noon searching for signal is not uncommon.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
BorderTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I canceled Sirius years ago because what they played was nearly predictable and I noticed repeats that made it not worth the $15 to me. Sirius was cool in the beginning but it didn't stand the test of time for me. There are only so many tunes that fit into a category, Sirius doesn't have special access to songs that aren't also played via free stations. Heck Pandora is free and I see nothing that Sirius offers that Pandora does not. I can fine-tune my Pandora stations like telling it what I like or to never play certain artists or songs which can't be done with Sirius.
While there are some songs that eventually get replayed, the fact that there are more stations playing the same type of music (which still makes variety possible) compared to the one terrestrial station I get, XM/Sirius is still better. For me. Pandora is a no-go as I am on a limited data plan and work in an area with no useable signal, even with a cell phone booster. That oil field life...
BorderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but you need cell service/WiFi in order to use Pandora right?

If that's the case then unfortunately it wouldn't work for me as many of the places I go to work have spotty or no coverage at all. Turning your phone off after leaving the shop so the battery don't go dead by noon searching for signal is not uncommon.
Ya you need a signal for pandora. But slacker will archive stations for you for when there is no signal.

Friend of mine had xm in his truck. We used it for hunting trips, it towed better than mine. No station we listened to was anything other than a loop dotted with commercials for xm. Definitely not worth it imo.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't get cell coverage where I wheel either so Pandora would not be an option for me there either. I was thinking more for just general purposes. When I wheel, I just listen to the 8-10k songs I have stored on my iPod.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.