SirGCal - InSeat Speaker box Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > SirGCal - InSeat Speaker box Question.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

SirGCal - InSeat Speaker box Question.

Hey SirGCal

I've been reading a lot about your box design and I'm planning on stealing it for my own use (hope you don't mind) I had a couple of questions for you.

I have two pioneer 10 inch shallow mount subs that I'd like to install in the box. On the other hand, I would like to make the seat as comfortable as possible (IE more padding)

Here are the specs for the speaker. Well, the one that are relevant anyways:

Recommended Enclosure 0.35 ~ 0.7 Cubic Feet
Dimensions 11-1/8" x 3-1/2"
Mounting Depth 3"

Having never built a box before, or umm... any stereo upgrade at all for that matter, I was wondering which enclosure dimensions I need to pay attention to? is one for a ported box and one for a sealed box? those stats are direct from the pioneer website.

The reason i'm asking is because for some stupid reason I can't seem to wrap my head around figuring out the internal volume of the inseat box for a 98 TJ if I make it shallower. How much thinner can I make the box to match the speaker requirements (mounting depth and internal volume) so that I can use as much padding as possible when putting the seat back together?

I've looked at your designs, and I believe I can take off 1.5 inches or so and still have the minimum internal volume right?

So confused. Also, do you have any other tips or tricks that you may have come up with since you made those designs? I'm going to be wiring it so that the seat is still removeable when I need to and placing the Amp in the console similar to another poster.

Any help would be much appreciated as I bought the jeep last week and the guy took out his stereo. I'm musicless at the moment.

Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelliom
Hey SirGCal

I've been reading a lot about your box design and I'm planning on stealing it for my own use (hope you don't mind) I had a couple of questions for you.

I have two pioneer 10 inch shallow mount subs that I'd like to install in the box. On the other hand, I would like to make the seat as comfortable as possible (IE more padding)

Here are the specs for the speaker. Well, the one that are relevant anyways:

Recommended Enclosure 0.35 ~ 0.7 Cubic Feet
Dimensions 11-1/8" x 3-1/2"
Mounting Depth 3"

Having never built a box before, or umm... any stereo upgrade at all for that matter, I was wondering which enclosure dimensions I need to pay attention to? is one for a ported box and one for a sealed box? those stats are direct from the pioneer website.
Those are sealed dimensions... Larger = smoother responce generally speaking... If you use the smaller box (one in the 2ktj writeup) you will be fine with a single 10". But don't use a pair. You could but the spike and droppoff would suffer. With the larger box, you could go either way depending on what sound your really after and how picky you are.

Quote:
The reason i'm asking is because for some stupid reason I can't seem to wrap my head around figuring out the internal volume of the inseat box for a 98 TJ if I make it shallower. How much thinner can I make the box to match the speaker requirements (mounting depth and internal volume) so that I can use as much padding as possible when putting the seat back together?
I have a volume calculator in the VB Programs section of my site you can use...

Quote:
I've looked at your designs, and I believe I can take off 1.5 inches or so and still have the minimum internal volume right?
I'd have to think to answer that and honestly, right this second... I'm really not in the mood. But probably something like that... But also be aware that the bottom of the box can't change so you would have to take it off the top which would make the cutouts change for the top, back and side pieces including all the notch pieces...

Quote:
So confused. Also, do you have any other tips or tricks that you may have come up with since you made those designs? I'm going to be wiring it so that the seat is still removeable when I need to and placing the Amp in the console similar to another poster.
I use deans connectors (see your local RC hobby shop) for easy speaker-wire disconnects (12 AWG rating and damn good connection).

Quote:
Any help would be much appreciated as I bought the jeep last week and the guy took out his stereo. I'm musicless at the moment.
Welcome to the Jeeping world...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help and tips. I'll check out your volume calculator.

And I love the Jeep so far.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.