Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

SirGCal, I am at your mercy.....please..

634 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  drunksmurf 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, my dilema ( have an 02 TJ )....So i have recently decided get a basslink, i had one in an old car but decided to leave it in there for my brother, so i got another one. I have a Mopar Add a trunk and i spent all of saturday evening modifying it so it would sit higher, clear the rear seats AND accomdate the Basslink (no easy task, i think im deaf from the dremel goign full out for two hours :(). Anyways so the next day I went to circuit city and they handed me the necessary equipment, including the RCAs, a line out converter and amp powering kit. Now they also wanted me to charge seventy bucks for the install. Now this may not be terrible, but they didnt seem terribly concerned about the whole thing. I have heard bad thigns about the big chains and their install, but when i told them that the gas tank was RIGHT below the tub and asked if they were plannign on dropping it, they scoffed and looked at me as if i was an idiot. They said they would "be careful" :( . I also asked about rust in those holes, they said probably over time, but thats all they were goign to do so i should just get over it. Worried? Yes. So im considering getting the instlal stuff, and attemping to do it myself, however i dont know jack about it. the amp wiring kit im pretty sure i can handle, cept for the firewall part. The RCAs i can run back to the basslink, but i am confused about the line out inverter (something about converting them into RCAs perhaps?) do i tap into the rear speakers? what are those colors? is it the positives or negatives of the rear speakers that you need? (are radio shack line taps good enough, or do i have to strip and solder?), how to wire everything...please i need an idiots walk through....SirGCal, anyone? a very sincere thankyou
Reed

P.S. I have the 7 speaker radio setup with the sub in the console with a stock HU

See less See more
#2 ·
the RCA convert does tap through the rear speaker outputs if using the factory head unit. I'd have to get the FSM To get the wiring code though. I know they've been posted before so search for em. As for the mounting, droping the gas tank is really easy. Al lyou need is the right socket, a floor jack and some help. 7 bolts underneith, losen the feed/return lines, 3 screws for the filler neck and snip the zip tie for the axle breather line (connected to the fuel-filler in the wheel well) and lower the jack and you can dril lthe holes you need to get the bolts up from the bottom and bolted in there. silicone arond the holes to prevent rust.

CC or BB I would never let do my rig personally but it doesn't mean they do crap work. If they were going to drill down above the gass tank though I would be nervous cause, on mine, the tank actually pushes against the body tub a little. NO room for error without dropping the tank. Knowing that it migt be easier, since you know you can handle the rest, to just do it on a weekend with a friend. (hint, run down to at least 1/4 tank of gas that weekend to make it even easier.)

#3 ·
Lol Gas tank drilling

Take it from someone thats dropped thier gastank to do the 15 to 19 mod, it took me longer to get the wiring harness apart to the fuel pump then it did to get the tank down offa the back of the jeep. All you have to do is raise the rear axle up far enough that you can get under the rear of the jeep. You will see the bolts holding the tank inplace. Make sure your floor jack has a large surface area to balance the tank easier. After you have loosen the nuts(dont remove completely) just throw the jack under the tank to support the weight remove the nuts and slowly lower the tank outta the way of the drilling part then raise and retighten the nuts and reconnect the hoses. its very simple to do hell I was skeptical then laughed at myself for bein afraid to try it. Just make sure your supporting the rear axle with stands that are high enough for you to make sure that ur not gonna hit the drill accidentally on that lol plastic gastank. Oh one more thing its best to run that jeep down to at least the gas light so that the tank wont be weighed down with X amount of gasoline, for I ran mine down to about 25 miles past the light and I woulda figured there was still 2-3 gallon in it. It wasnt so heavy I couldnt lift it but even then it will move offa the jack with a slight bit of speedy decent so lower it slowly and take ur time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.