Simple Wiring 101 Question for Jeep CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Simple Wiring 101 Question for Jeep CJ7

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Simple Wiring 101 Question for Jeep CJ7

I have a 1978 CJ with a 304. When I bought it, additional electrical additions included: Fog lights, 4 rear speakers, CB, non-factory under-dash lights (2), horn button, after market radio/tape deck, and an aftermarket clock mounted where the ashtray typically is on the dash. The wiring is a mess - but it was running ok.

A couple weeks ago, my uncle and I did some work on it - including dropping the gas tank to clean it out (there was mud in the fuel filter), removing the CB and fog lights. Now, I have intermittent stalling!!! My experience is intermittent stalling is tough to diagnose.

MY QUESTION IS: Could the simple removal of non-factory additions like this cause the electrical system to start functioning improperly???? That is, even if all these additional components were poorly wired...could removing erroneously wired components from a less than perfect system cause stalling? For example, before we even removed it, the CB didn't work and the speakers in the back sounded bad.

A mechanic helping us has already discovered one wire from the coil is overheating (that's at least one electrical problem).

To fix the intermittent stalling, we've replaced the ECM, distributor, coil, fuel pump and the carb is being replaced next week. Battery, alternator, plugs, distributor cap and plugs are good. It's running better now...but I won't know for sure if everything is 100% until the new carb is in. Obviously, I'm having trouble diagnosing whether it's a fuel delivery problem or electrical (or both).

I'm now approaching the option of getting a new wiring harness - which I'm hoping I don't have to do. I almost want to re-wire back the CB and fog lights because the old system worked when they were part of it.

Could removing the CB and Fog Lights cause/start such problems??????

Thank you!

1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978CJ7Beast View Post
Could removing the CB and Fog Lights cause/start such problems??????
Highly unlikely. Turned off, and removed, are the same difference, no electrical energy is flowing. Unless you created a short circuit somehow when you removed them.

Since you mention work on the fuel system recently, that is the logical place to start your diagnostics.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for your reply.

A follow-up question: If we did create a short circuit by removing a couple items....would the Jeep start or run at all?
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.