Silver box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Silver box

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
jakefanning
1981 CJ7 

Silver box

I have an '81 CJ7. There is a silver metal box on the passenger side fender well under the radiator over flow bottle.There is one plug with about 10 wires. What is it? I can't find it any where on a wiring schematic. It is not the ignition module, that is located on the drivers side and has two plugs coming out. The jeep is an '81, CA emissions, and does not have a computer.

jakefanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's how the CHP tracks you....

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrap it in tin foil and use the excess to make a hat. That is the only way to confuse their tracking system. They wont be able to track you or read your thoughts as you pass their sensors cleverly disguised as highway safety cones.

I will be curious to see what it really is....
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
jakefanning
1981 CJ7 

Funny.....
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Funny? Yes... Useful not so much...
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefanning View Post
I have an '81 CJ7. There is a silver metal box on the passenger side fender well under the radiator over flow bottle.There is one plug with about 10 wires. What is it? I can't find it any where on a wiring schematic. It is not the ignition module, that is located on the drivers side and has two plugs coming out. The jeep is an '81, CA emissions, and does not have a computer.
Pictures???

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
jakefanning
1981 CJ7 

Thanks guys. It turns out the carb on the jeep when I bought it was not the original. Three wiring diagrams later I find out th box it is the idle control. Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.