Short driver door harness for other door functionality - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Short driver door harness for other door functionality

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
WrinkledCheese

Short driver door harness for other door functionality

Hey all,

95 Grand Cherokee 5.2L

I'm trying to short pins on the harness on the driver door so that the passenger door switches work.

When I bought the Jeep, the windows worked but the driver door was toast. Hanging on the pins and the latch mechanism was destroyed so I switched out the door from a 97, which has a different harness connector.

Until I get time to switch out the harnesses, I need to short at the harness to make the switch on the passenger door work for the passenger window.

I tried using the wiring diagrams on this page - http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/24i2x...er-window.html ( half way down ) and I've yielded nothing.

I have to admit, my wiring diagram reading abilities are sup par, but this is what I took.

In order to supply positive(+) power to the door, I need to short out tan(TN) and yellow/grey(YL GY). In order to provide negative(-) power to the door, I need to short black(BK) and violet/white(VI WT) or brown/white(BR WT). This shouldn't do anything but allow the switch to operate.

This didn't work and I realize I must be missing something.

From what I see in the wiring diagram:

When I move the switch in the down position, tan->yellow/grey should create a connection with violet/white(+), and should create a connection between brown/white and brown(-). Providing polarized power for the motor to work in one direction.

When I move the switch in the down position, tan->yellow/grey should create a connection with brown/white(+), and should create a connection between violet/white and brown(-). Providing polarized power for the motor to work in the other direction.

So I SHOULD be able to short black with both brown/white and purple/white since the passenger side door should only use one of these connections at a time.

Any ideas?

WrinkledCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

From what I can see the switch breaks the neg side and not the Pos wire.

You are correct in that Yellow/Gray wire is the Hot feed to the passenger switch.
I'm wondering if that diagram is missing something as on one part of it it's saying "Left front" power window switch but it's connected to the "Right Front" just down the schematic. Since other than a pass thru connection from the Drivers door to the Passenger motor I don't think that it makes the ground for passenger side switch.
I'd take the switch out of the passenger door and see if it has a ground wire connected to it and make sure that it has not lost connection somewhere.
Make sure that you have 12v on the Tan and YL/GY wire with the IGN on as you could have a blown fuse somewhere as well.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
WrinkledCheese

I meant the lockout switch breaks the hot/positive wire, while the up down switch completes one negative side, and depending on the positions, specifies the polarity going to the motor.

That being said. I had everything shorted out properly. In the process of asking someone if what I thought made sense I stopped and said "I'm an idiot"

...I didn't turn the key to the on position.

All's well. Got it working 5 minutes after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc
... with the IGN on ...
Yup, turn the ignition ON... LOL
WrinkledCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.