Setting up a Galaxy DX 959 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Setting up a Galaxy DX 959

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Bobs94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Setting up a Galaxy DX 959

I have just purchased a Galaxy DX959 from an old trucker and do not know what all the switches and knobs should be set for. Some, like PA vs. CB are obvious, but others are not so. I would greatly appreciate any help and suggestions that you guys may have. Thanks in advance.

Bobs94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

Check out this web site: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx959/index.htm it will tell you all about your radio. I operate a DX959 also, there good radios.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Bobs94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have checked that site a few times with the same result....confusion. I have had a Uniden, Cobra 18, and a Midland that were simple units. When it comes to the Galaxy, I am a total noob. What do you have all your switches and dials set at. I primarily use the radio to listen and talk to big rigs since I am on the road quite a bit.
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

Bob, If ou look at the site on the left hand side is a PDF labled "Owner Manual" just open the link and save the PDF.

Volumn control/SQ: Volumn is self explanatory, the squelch control is the outside knob
Mic gain/R.B: Adjusts the mic power, fully clockwise is max modulation, mine is set to the mid range position. The R.B. is push on/off the adds a tone at the end of transmission, also the R.B. LED below the channel indicator will light when in the R.B. position.
RF Gain: All this does is set the reciever sensitivity, for close staions you can turn the RF Gain counterclockwise to keep them from pegging your RX meter. Fully clockwise for weak stations, mine is set according to what I'm doing, local communications it is set at about 10 O'clock.
Dimmer: this adjust the brightness of the display
RF power: this adjust the output power of the radio, fully counterclockwise is about 1 watt while fully clockwise is about 4+ watts (depending on the radio).
Talkback: Push on/push off: This lets you monitor your transmit audio, I operate mine in the off position.
Clarifier: Used during SSB operation to tune in the station your talking with.
The switches:
SWR/Mod/Power: Select the position of the switch for what you want the meter to indicate during transmit mod. SWR shows the SWR matching of the antenna to the radio, it does not need to be calibrated it auto calibrates. MOD position shows your modulation.
NB/ANL/Off switch: This is used to filter noise. The NB is good for noise cause by the vehicles ignition system.
PA/GNF/CB switch: PA is used for your PA speaker, GNF is the special Galaxy Noise Filter, and CB is for the CB mode of operation. The CB works while in the GNF mode it help clear up recieve signals.
AM/USB/LSB: This selects the mode of operation. AM, Upper side band, Lower side band. Set this switch for desired mode of operation, most trucker channels 17 through 19 use AM mode. The side band mode is mostly used on channels 30 through 40.
LEDS:
SWR alert will light when the SWR is hight than 3:1
R.B. will light when the R.B. button is pushed
RX/TX: Green during receive and Red during Transmit
Frequency counter: This is just an indicator of the frequency you are operating on, works in conjuction with the channel selector.
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those radios can scream! Plus the recieve is very good compared to other CB's in their price range. There is a voltage regulator with 3 legs on the Right side that likes to come unsoldered but other than that they are a great radio.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Bobs94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

@ terryj....Thank you so much for that information, it really helps. I guess I just needed things described in a less technical fashion than the manual. I am still unclear on some of the functions of the radio, but I plan on doing my own research before bringing my questions here. Thanks again terryj

@ chris142....Is that voltage regulator something I could visually inspect and easily solder back if needed. Please forgive my ignorance when I ask what 3 legs means. Does that mean three soldering points?
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

Bob, the voltage regulator was a common problem on the Chinese made radios, the radios are now made in the Phillipines and don't have this problem, check the rear of the radio it will either say made in China or made in Malaysia (Phillipines).
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs94YJ View Post

@ chris142....Is that voltage regulator something I could visually inspect and easily solder back if needed. Please forgive my ignorance when I ask what 3 legs means. Does that mean three soldering points?
Yes 3 legs means that it has 3 legs that are soldered to the board. The other end of the regulator bolts to the case. The board and case do move a little and eventually this wiggling breaks the legs or the solder.

If your handy with a soldering iron you can easily fix it but it's very intricate work and if you short out the legs with solder the Radio wont work. I had a local CB repair shop repair mine and he added jumper wires which allow some movement VS a solid solder joint.

If it's working it's ok. When the legs break it stops working completely.

AFAIK the Galaxy 959 is only made in Malaysia. I have never seen one from China........Yet.
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Bobs94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is made in Malaysia, but that information will be extremely helpful should the unit stop working. At least I will have a place to start looking should it need repair.

Thanks to the both of you for all your help and advise.
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok here we go.

Starting at the top left knob. Labled "Talkback". This allows you to hear yourself when you talk. Usually used when truckers have an Echo board put in the radio. They use the talkback to adjust how much echo they have.

We don't care about that right now so turn this knob counter clockwise untill it stops. Pushing this knob in turns the talk back on or off.

Clarifier: Used to tune in others when using Sideband. More on sideband later. Put this knobs red dot @ 12 O'Clock.

Frequency counter shows the actual frequency. The channel display shows the channel. 1-40 like all other 40 channel CB's. Ch19 shows as 27.185 which is the actual frequency of Ch19.

Middle row of switches.

On the left "swr/mod/pwr". Putting this switch on "swr" makes the radio automatically check your swr. SWR is how well your antenna is tuned to the car that it's mounted on.

Mod is for Modulation. This is how loud your voice is on the recieving end.

PWR is the amount of Watts the radio is putting out. These 3 position show up on the meter on the left.

Off/anl/nb+anl: This switch is for cutting out noise from sparkplugs, fuel pump and over head power lines. I put mine in the middle position which is ANL(antenna noise limiter).

Pa/GNF/CB: Pa is a public address and you need an under hood horn like whats on cop cars when they yell at you from inside the cop car.

GNF: Galaxy noise filter. Useless noise filter!

CB: Regular CB use. Put this switch all the way to the right.

USB/AM/LSB: Upper and lower sidebands are a different mode.To use Upper and Lower you must be talking to another radio that also has sidebands. Put this switch on AM for normal CB use.

BTW...You can talk much farher on Sideband than on AM. Sidebands are mostly used on channels 35,36,37,38,39 and 40 with ch38 Lsb being the calling channel.

Sidebands are where you would use the clarifier knob to clarify or tune to another sideband radio so that you can hear them.

Guys on AM cannot understand guys on Sideband and guys on Sideband ......Well they can kinda hear guys on AM but not clearly. For todays lesson lets say that they cant communicate together.

Low/Med/Hi: Is for the tone of the recieving voice. I put this switch on "HI".

Lower set of knobs left to right.

Vol/SQ. The inner knob turns the radio on and adjust the volume. The outer knob adjusts the squelch so you dont have to hear static all day.

Mic gain: Adjusts your output modulation. Turn this all the way clockwise untill it stops. If it's too loud and others complain you can turn it counter clockwise to turn your modulation down.

This also turns the Roger beep on or off by pushing the knob in. Dont use a roger beep unless your trying to be annoying

RF Gain: This adjusts how sensitive the radio is to incomming signals. If there are others in the area on other channels you may get interfierence from them. Turning this knob counter clockwise will stop the interfierence from them.

For now turn it clockwise untill it stops.

Dimmer turns the lights in the radio brighter or dimmer. Pushing this knob in turns the lights off completly. For now turn it clockwise untill it stops.

RF Power: This is how much power your radio is putting out. ASSUMING that your radio has not been modified when you turn this knob clockwise untill it stops you will be putting out the maximun legal 4watts of power.

Turning the knob counter clockwise lowers the output power.

For now. Clockwise untill it stops.

Now with the radio on. Look under the channel indicator. Is the RB light off? If it's on push the Mic gain switch in once to turn it off.

With the swr/pwr/mod switch on swr when you key the mic the swr will show up on the lowest scale on the meter. If you look at the meter closely you will see a 1 then a 1.5, 2 then a red 3. Hopefully yours shows less than 2. If it doesnt you need to get your antenna tuned.

There is a small light under the channel indicator that will glow red when you transmit if your SWR is over 3.

Put the switch on mod and speak into the microphone while turning the mic gain knob and you can see your modulation amount on the 2nd line in the meter.

Put this switch on pwr, key the mic and turn the rf power and you can see the needle drop and raise as you put out more or less power.

Hope this helps!
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Bobs94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Chris, thanks for the detailed info. That is exactly what I was looking for. My CB is set up and tweaked perfectly now.
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs94YJ View Post
Chris, thanks for the detailed info. That is exactly what I was looking for. My CB is set up and tweaked perfectly now.
Right on. If that 959 has not been hacked by a truckstop CB store it should recieve much better than most other CB's. Basically Recieve should be clean and it should have better "ears" than the cheaper cb's out there.

Transmit should also be very clean. Sometimes turning the Mic Gain down is necessary to get a clean transmit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.