sealed enclosure vs sub install in center console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > sealed enclosure vs sub install in center console

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
kmssova1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

sealed enclosure vs sub install in center console

Anyone have any info as to difference in sound quality from installing modified shallow mount sub ias replacement to stock 6.5" into TJ console vs building mdf sealed enclosure and installing in the console? I've come across specs for mdf build on this forum. How do you take care of possible rattle from the console lid?

kmssova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran a sealed enclosure behind the rear seat with two 10's for a few years and was happy with it. Just recently sold the box and installed a slimline 8" sub in the center console and am very surprised how well it sounds vs. the old subs. Of course nowhere near the bass as the 10's, but I'm happy with it and now have a lot more storage room.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
kmssova1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did you install it directly to the plastic console or into a mdf box inside the center console. If just using the console for the enclosure, do you get a lot of rattles ie...lid?
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It takes a little work to eliminate the rattles. I removed the center console, Removed the inner pocket storage and trimmed the hole to fit an Earthquake SWS8 slim line sub, then lined the inner enclosure with Dynamat. I added some poly fill inside the enclosure, cut and epoxied a top out of MDF since my console wasn't the factory sub option. Left enough room to have a little storage space under the lid. I also lined the tub where the center console sits with Dynamat as well. Surprisingly, No rattles.
p1020974.jpg   p1020997.jpg  

Unread 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any rattles, I also lined the plastic stock box inside and out with dynamat extreme. I also took out the stock amp, are replaced it with a piece of aluminum plate, that also go dynamated. I wedged a 6.5" JL audio W3, but I had to cut the grill off the console, and install a custom ring of MDF on the lip to get the depth I needed. It has a JL audio grill on it now. It sounds great with an 150w at 4 ohm MTX amp I have under the drivers seat. The plastic stock box is very ridged now, I also lined the storage are inside with rubber mat to avoid getting rattles.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
FerrisBueller
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never had problems with the console rattling and i made mine out of the white liner.
It literally fits like a glove

FerrisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
kmssova1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

to ferrisbueller: Your pic is that of the white inner console liner (painted black) that you installed the speaker into and reinserted into the console. Is that correct. If so did you just dremmel out the hole to fit the sub and screw it directly to it or what modifications did you have to make? Thanks
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
FerrisBueller
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Correct but its not just the liner itself. I completely fiberglassed and bondo'd the whole thing.
FerrisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
33shooter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll subscribe. I'm doing this soon to my TJ as well. Already looking at construction myself.
33shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
03TJJeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I put foam around the sub where the box meets the console. thats where you will get vibes and that helps. I have no vibes in the top but i covered the top in vinyl. It also looks nice. I posted pics in that thread. around page 8 i believe.
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
kmssova1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

to ferrisbueller: What was the reason to fiberglass the plastic enclosure? To add strength only or for sound quality?
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
kmssova1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

to bobthetj03: Sounds like you just trimmed hole in plastic liner for 8" sub and reinstalled into center console. Did you remount to outer console the same way with the 4 screws at top under the lid? Did you already have factory option sub install or just plastic insert that you modified? Hows the sound quality in plastic enclosure?
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmssova1 View Post
to bobthetj03: Sounds like you just trimmed hole in plastic liner for 8" sub and reinstalled into center console. Did you remount to outer console the same way with the 4 screws at top under the lid? Did you already have factory option sub install or just plastic insert that you modified? Hows the sound quality in plastic enclosure?
The inner plastic enclosure was riveted to the out shell, so I drilled out the rivets to remove the inner liner. My console didn't have the factory sub. The inner was just storage so no hole was cut for the sub. Had to cut it out to fit the 8". Had to fab a top out of MDF and epoxy it to the top of the inner plastic liner. Used sheetmetal screws to re-attach the inner liner back to the outer shell. I lined the inside of the inner liner with polyfill and lined the outside of the inner liner with Dynamat. No rattles, and the sound quality is great.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.