Rubicon Audio Upgrade and Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Rubicon Audio Upgrade and Suggestions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Audio Upgrade and Suggestions?

I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon with stock audio including the stock subwoofer in the center console. I know that this stock system is crap and I can barely hear it with the top down. Therefore I want to by a decent head unit( that will be Ipod capable in the future, maybe even satelitte radio?). I figured giving my speakers and sub a little more power should help correct? If I am still not satisfied then I will upgrade to 5/14 speakers up front and in the soundbar. Would I need an amp to power my new speakers or will the new head unit be enough? Would I power my some speakers with the head unit and the others and sub with the amp? I am looking for suggestions on brands(speakers,head units, amps etc) and ideas? I do plan of doing all the labor myself. Where can I find the brackets to upgrade to bigger speakers in the dash(anyhere locally?) I am on a reasonable budget, but am willing to upgrade in stages.

Thankyou for yalls time and help, Drew

Unread 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
SirGCal

Heads, I stick with Alpine or Eclipse as they have the best electronics on the market. Other popular brands are OK also but those are my top choices.

Speakers, only you can choose... Too personal a decision. Go listen to them and choose for yourself. If the speakers want more then 35W RMS, you'll need an amp to make them happy. If you want a lot of volume, you'll need an amp and speakers capable of handling it. You can build the 5.25" brackets with thick stock metal you can get from Home Depot or Lowes. There's a few places here with dimensions...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks SirgCal. We have plenty of scrap sheet metal laying around here at work. Therefore I searched for the dimensions but could not find them anywhere. Does anyone know the dimensions or have a link to a write up to make your own brackets?
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to the template:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photohype/2683491683/

Here's a similar thread that was started this week:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-newb-help-797394/
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks gily, that was alot of help. Only thing is I am a little confused when it say center from left?
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i feel like the front speakers are decent but the sound bar speakers are horrible. i couldnt hear anything on the highway no top no doors. i just spent 50$ on some 6 inch round pioneer speakers for the sound bar and it made a difference where i am happy with how i can hear on the highway.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I remember reading that if you can hear you radio over the highway noise with your top off than it would be loud enough to cause hearing damage.....whomever wrote it and tested this and had decibel measurements etc.

I think it was SirGCal....

That said, i would like a louder radio too LOL...
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
SirGCal

That is true... any sustained volumes over 85dB can cause hearing damage. Over 100dB accelerates this problem. And noisy jeeps can be in the high 90's themselves flying down the highway. That's why I always wear my earplugs in the Jeep.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OSHA in the construction industry requires ear protection during activities that create noise level of 85 DB over an 8 hour period.
which means that if you experiance a noise at 85 DB for a 7 hour period then you do not need ear protection.

so based on this i crank my radio as loud as possible on the highway with the top and doors down unless im going to be driving like that for over 8 hours.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
OSHA in the construction industry requires ear protection during activities that create noise level of 85 DB over an 8 hour period.
which means that if you experiance a noise at 85 DB for a 7 hour period then you do not need ear protection.

so based on this i crank my radio as loud as possible on the highway with the top and doors down unless im going to be driving like that for over 8 hours.
No offense, but that's the dumbest logic I ever heard... 8 hours is not a magical number where 7 hours and 59 minutes would be totally benign...

It's all about liabilities and OSHA, 7 hours, even 5 hours would still easily result in hearing damage over time. If you listened at 90dB for an hour a day for a year, you'd see noticeable degradation of your hearing on a high detail exam. The more it goes unchecked, the more permanent and the more damage it results in. Ears can heal some what... the occasional (once or twice a year) loud concert or something, ears can recover from if given a chance... but constant bombardment and they will not.

You'll notice first that the higher-frequencies fall off your tests. This is very common in middle aged Americans actually because they don't protect their ears in daily life. People like myself are the exceptions who wear ear protection often (Riding the motorcycle, Jeep topless, etc... I have a very nice special set of plugs I keep in my pocket (or ear) for those occasions.).

Quote:
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well I just built the bracket over my 2nd break! Thanks for yalls help, I do not plan on always cranking it so loud causing ear damage, just occasionally on those noisy drives, also I am looking for better quality!
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now I am looking for a head unit that allows me to tell my 4 speakers to play mainly mid and hi ranhe and no bass and send that to my sub. Yall called it high frequency pass or something?? How can I tell if the head unit has this function? Sorry I might be completely off, I just remember reading somethinhg about this??
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
SirGCal

many do, some depend on amp or speaker outputs too. Some Kenwoods for example, the filters only work on the amp outputs... My Alpine on the other hand, filters work on all outputs. Have to do your homework on that one.

Quote:
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
jeeps4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so what "Terms or Specifiations" am I looking for to make sure the head unit is capable. Sorry for all the newb questions. Audio and electrical are new to me. Thanks again.
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
SirGCal

If you want it from the RCAs, any that have internal crossovers will be fine. If you want it from the speaker-lines, you'll have to research on your own cause they won't advertise if their filter includes all outputs or just line-level...

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.