Rock-It Tail Light Antenna Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Rock-It Tail Light Antenna Mounts

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
amper

Rock-It Tail Light Antenna Mounts

I'm in the process of planning my radio installs for my new-to-me TJ. Since I'm planning to install some sort of roof rack (probably a Garvin or Smittybilt), I'm thinking of using the Rock-It tail light antenna mounts in the rear. The question I have is, does the top flange have enough room to widen the mounting hole to 5/8" to accomodate a UHF or NMO mount, and still have enough room around it that the washers or nuts won't be hanging off the edge? I'll probably end up ordering one just to check it for sure, but if anyone can tell me before I spend the money, I'd appreciate it.

Unread 11-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

amper, I tried to find the m ount you mentioned but did not see it.

Most of the taillight mount I have looked at have more than enough room to drill out the 3/8" / 1/2" hole to 5/8".
To open-up the hole for an NMO mount, maybe 1.125", I do not know for sure but I would think the rear outter edge would be at its limit.

Have you considered ,making your own mount either for the Taillight or the Tire Carrier ?
If you did then you would be able to customize the top plate to fit your needs.

If you went with the Taillight Mount - trace out the rear of the taillight on a piece of paper, add on enough metal at the top so you can bend an "L" and still have room for clearance from the tailliht and connector, then leave enough for the edge concerns of teh NMO Mount.

The Tire Carrier mount would be close to the same thing.

Ltr

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
amper

Well, Quadratec carries the Rock-It (Turbo City), but I haven't seen any others out there. Can you tell about others?

Anyway, I'm not too thrilled about the offset mount of the Rock-It, so I was thinking I'd probably buy one to use as a template, then con my sheet metal worker of an uncle into fabbing me one to my specs.
Unread 11-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Sounds like a ROCK solid idea

From the NMO mount idea, I get the idea that you may be an Amateur Radio Operator ?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the taillight mounts I've seen (including the Teraflex mounts I use) have enough room to go 5/8" but going big enough for an NMO is pushing it. Either it'll be outright impossible or it will take out enough metal that it'd weaken the mount.

As has been stated, I believe your best bet for an NMO mount would be to fab up your own. Sholdn't be too hard, but depending on the length and weight of your antenna, you may need to use some pretty thick stock if you're planning on just a single bend.
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
amper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF
Sounds like a ROCK solid idea

From the NMO mount idea, I get the idea that you may be an Amateur Radio Operator ?
Amateur Radio and GMRS licensed. See my .sig for my callsigns.
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
ironbelle
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use the Rock It tail light antenna mount and there is room for a larger hole, but yes, you should fab your own if you are going to do that. It's easy enough. Someone borrowed mine while my Jeep was getting repaired and they fabbed a couple of them from scrap metal using the original as a template. Looked identical to the original. I will warn you, those two prongs that you drill the additional holes for are a kicker when it comes to reaching into the fender to screw on the lock tight screws. Might as well crack open a beer cause you'll be there for a bit.
RE 4.5 SF w/ 3.5" Springs
OME Nitro Shocks
Tera SYE/Tom Woods DS
AtoZ Rockers
Skid Row Engine Skid
Warn Diff covers
Kilby Steering Box Skid
York OBA
OR-Fab Tire Carrier
Red Jeep Club Member #240
I am the Anti Bling!
ironbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.