Rock crawler tunes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Rock crawler tunes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rock crawler tunes

Looks like there are plently of threads for guys running silly sound systems in their mall crawlers, so I thought I'd start one for guys looking for ideas for their rock crawlers. If you have your own setup to contribute feel free to post up.

In my Jeep I've been running the same Sony Xplod Cd player for about 10 years. It has survived being full of water, and lots of banging around over the years. For the last 5 years or so my only speakers were a set of under seat speaker pods I was given for free. They sounded ok, but no bass and overall just meh..

I've been thinking about installing an amp and wake tower speakers for a while after hearing a setup my buddy was running. Simple plan. Ditch the CD deck/receiver (the radio stopped working a while back anyhow and CDs are a PITA to carry on the trail), toss the old speakers, install an amp under the passenger seat, wake tower speakers on the cage, and run my phone or MP3 player direct to the amp for music.

First I found a deal on some Bazooka tubbies so I picked those up for the speakers. For the amp I wanted a marine rated unit and found a 2ch MBQuart amp from sonixelectronix for ~$60 after adding a warranty. Thats all I needed for parts so this weekend I did the install.

Step 1, remove the old radio and associated wiring

Next I pulled the passenger seat out and added some flat steel to bolt the amp to. I wanted to keep it off the floor and as protected as possible. Initially I had the mount on top of the tubes but I was concerned it would be too close to the bottom of the suspension seat so I dropped it down.

I added a piece of lexan over the amp for a little extra protection in case I get rained on.

I added a switch between the seats to turn the amp on and off. You can also see the phone holder that clamps to the seat mount. All the wiring for the amp and speakers is contained to the cage except the power wire of course.

Speakers are mounted just behind the shock mounts on my cage

and after testing it all out, reinstall the seat. Ready to rock and roll. Since this pic I have covered the visible wires with a section of wire loom. Didn't really need to, it just bugged me a bit.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a couple updates on this setup. First, it works awesome. The tower speakers are plenty loud for me, and sound much better than the stuff I pulled out.

Since the initial post I've done a couple small changes. I installed some wire loom over the exposed wires on the side of the amp. Then to better protect it from water/mud I bent another piece of lexan 90º and vecro'd it to the top of the amp. This is easily removable to access the terminals on the amp. but completely shields the side of the amp from the elements, and really makes it so you can't even tell the amp is there.

That was all done before the first wheeling trip and everything worked well. Just recently I decided to upgrade the cable I was using to connect to the amp. I initially used the headphone to RCA cable and it was fine, but I wanted to charge the phone as well and figured I'd rather just run a single cable to do both. I ordered this cable from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS76PR...ywords=IS76PRO The install was simple. I just Velcro'd the base to the top of the amp under the seat. The power and ground were connected to the remote and ground wires on the amp so it switches on and off with the amp.

When it came time to test this install (at 11pm) I found 1 issue with the new cable. It disables volume controls on the phone. I purposely turned all the volume options down low, and suddenly got an extremely loud blast of music in my ear. LOL Tried it one more time thinking I missed the setting on the phone but no dice. This time my wife (who was at the other end of the house) came to the garage to give me disapproving looks. LMAO

To resolve this issue, I had to order an in-line control knob. Not a big deal at all, other than needing it for a Saturday ride (on Thrusday night). Thankfully Amazon Saturday delivery saved me and I got one of these at about 10am to finish the install. http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Remote-Amp...vel+controller

I'll add pics of the additional parts this evening. I was in a bit of a rush and didn't take pics while I finished that up.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the level controller I installed. So far it works great. I also swapped in a waterproof power switch.

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

For some reason, None of your pics are loading up. I too am looking into doing Tower speakers. So you say they sound good? You're friend has a smiliar setup? Anyone to try posting the pics again and some of your friends?
Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The pics are all from facebook and are showing fine for me. Anyone else having trouble seeing them?

The speakers sound great IMO. As long as you have a good spot to mount them it's a great option.
I don't have any detail shots of Jake's stereo. At the time he was running a radio, amp, the tower speakers, and a sub. You can see his speakers mounted in the pic below. I can't remember the brand he got. I'm thinking they were either JL or Fosgate.

Unread 12-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just got a little upgrade for my sound system. Nothing huge, just an 8" 100w powered bazooka tube to get things thumping.

Merry Christmas to me!

Unread 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got bored this weekend and worked on the bazooka tube install.

It was really simple to wire this into my existing setup. Power, Ground, and remote, and plugged in the RCAs on the bass tube to the "line out" on the amp.

A quick test in my garage indicates it will sound great in the Jeep, and not really make much of a difference outside the Jeep. That's probably also a result of the tubbies being so loud. I had to turn the gain on the amp down about 20% to balance the bass tube with the other speakers. I still didn't turn it up past 1/2 way and it was plenty loud. I was waiting on the paint to dry on my mount so no finished pics yet. The mount is just 1-1/4" square tube and the bass tube will be held down with a couple lashing straps.

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Installed and ready to rock. Just need to bolt the drivers seat back in. Sounds great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.