RF power output fail new cobra CB any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > RF power output fail new cobra CB any ideas?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

RF power output fail new cobra CB any ideas?

i have a new cobra 29 lx le and at first i had a few issues with the SWR on the antenna being way to high.

the CB has a built in SWR meter. well i found that there was no insulation between the mount and the antenna.

the little plastic ring, so i fashoned up some insulation with electric tape and now the SWR is fine and the antenna passes the CB's checks but the RF power output fails.

i have no idae what that means and the maneul is no help.

any ideas ? thanks

RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

get another plastic ring. do you have the mic gain turned up (turned to the right)
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJNM View Post
get another plastic ring. do you have the mic gain turned up (turned to the right)
yeah i played with the mic gain and still no go

getting worried that this thing is broken
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok well i got the RF output thing to pass but then the antenna fails cause the SWR is at like 2.2-2.4 however if i hold the antena then it passes.

or if the antena is moveing back and forther. i'm pretty sure it's a grounding problem. i have a teraflex mounting kit coming in the mail should be here tomorrow hope that solves it.
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

Unread 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
ok well i got the RF output thing to pass but then the antenna fails cause the SWR is at like 2.2-2.4 however if i hold the antena then it passes.
Sounds like a bad ground on the antenna mount/mounting stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
or if the antena is moveing back and forther. i'm pretty sure it's a grounding problem. i have a teraflex mounting kit coming in the mail should be here tomorrow hope that solves it.
What antenna do you have.
Fiberglass antennas can loosen at the base and cause a bad connection.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
Sounds like a bad ground on the antenna mount/mounting stud.

What antenna do you have.
Fiberglass antennas can loosen at the base and cause a bad connection.
it's a brand new firestick.

how ever the mounting brack i have is crap so i ordered a new one from teraflex.

only thing that is confuseing is the antennadoesn;t screw right in. i had to take a piece off the whip antenna taht i had on my jeep before and the fire stick screwed in to that and thenthat went in the mounting plate and my coax cable screwed in from the bottom.
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

Unread 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well if your getting a swr reading, that means your putting out power. but who knows how much. you really need to use an external meter when checking swr and power. if your antenna was being grounded and you keyed the mic, you very well could have burned up the final. thats something you should always check, make sure theres no continiuity between the antenna itself and the ground. but the radio may be fine, wait till you put on that new mount or fix the old one correctly before trying again.
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.