Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

replacing speakers

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oldschool8604 
#1 ·
im looking to replace all my speakers in my 98 wrangler sahara. it comes with a sound bar. i dont know how many speakers there are. but i was curious as to how many i need to get and what kind i should get.

any one else have upgraded their set up that is like mine?

i dont wanna spend too much but maybe like 200 bucks or so. let me know

#2 ·
you've got 4x6s in the front, and 5.25" in the soundbar...

buy some brackets for the front so you can put 5.25" speakers there:

http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/sakj46t525.htm

then, buy two matching sets of 5.25"...I have Kenwood KFC-1389ie and am very happy...they're about $100/pair at Cruchfield, but less than $50/pair on Ebay...

Greg

#4 ·
nnixon42 said:
I'm also looking at changing out my speakers. Is it an easy change?
very easy...

the sound bar or sound pods are basically four screws that hold the grill on...

the dash speakers are two screws on the side of the dash, pull off that piece (with the vent) and then four screws that hold each speaker...

I would really recommend buying the $10 brackets and putting 5.25" speakers in all four positions...you get better sound from a 5.25" than a 4x6", and you'll also have a MUCH better selection of speakers...

Greg

#6 ·
with a stock deck you wont get the upgrade sound you want, just a bit better sound. stock decks are usually not powerful enough to power aftermarket brand speakers...you would be better off getting a new deck and putting more power to your stock spkearers...and they shouldnt blow unless you over use and over power them some how...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.