Replacing Factory Fog lights in a TJ with offroad/driving lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Replacing Factory Fog lights in a TJ with offroad/driving lights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing Factory Fog lights in a TJ with offroad/driving lights

Could you use the existing wiring for the factory fogs to hook up other lights, or would you need to run new wiring to them? I'm replacing my bumpers, and thinking about ditching the fogs for something better. I was thinking some of the slim line KC driving lights in their place.

Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the new lights don't have too much power its fine, but a lot of aftermarket lights draw more than the stock harness can handle. In that case you want to use the harness that comes with the aftermarket lights to get power to them but you have the option of still using the stock switch by using the stock harness as the signal wire for the relay.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If the new lights don't have too much power its fine, but a lot of aftermarket lights draw more than the stock harness can handle. In that case you want to use the harness that comes with the aftermarket lights to get power to them but you have the option of still using the stock switch by using the stock harness as the signal wire for the relay.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97048_3600.htm

These say 55W, and I also saw a pair of 55W KC Replacement fog lights that attach into the existing wiring for the TJ fogs. So I'm assuming that if the 55W fog replacements are fine, these would be as well.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamshooter View Post
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97048_3600.htm

These say 55W, and I also saw a pair of 55W KC Replacement fog lights that attach into the existing wiring for the TJ fogs. So I'm assuming that if the 55W fog replacements are fine, these would be as well.
Yes, I believe 55W is what the stock harness is rated for.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yes, I believe 55W is what the stock harness is rated for.
Great. Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As stated above, stock lights are 55w, so anything close is safe.

If you wanted to go bigger, but still use stock switch, etc. just add a relay off the wiring at the fender.

Using the stock wiring to pull-in the relay which provides "heavier" power to the new lights.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the replacements are 55w you are ok. If they are 100w use at least 12awg. Personally I would use 10 AWG for 100w lights. Better to have too big of wire than too small. Bigger wire will let them be as bright as they can possibly be.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone used the cheap Harbor Freight lights?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...tem-95811.html

Some of the reviews mentioned rust problems, but most just mentioned painting or putting a spray on clearcoat to solve that problem. After taking my factory fogs off the old bumper, I just didn't feel like putting those old beat up lights back on my new bumper.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I went the cheap harbor freight route for now. Just bought some wire, conduit, and clipped the factory fog connector off and wired them in. And while I was at it I did the relay mod so that they will operate on high beams as well.

Unread 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Dingus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a similar problem as Bhamshooter. I want to replace my factory fog lights on my 2004 wrangler tj to match my KC hilites on my windshield. I found a good pair by KC that say they plug into the existing harness as you guys mentioned above. http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_120X_PG.htm. I was about to buy these pair until i decided to check my jeep to see if i could find the wiring harness of the original fog lights. I check the passenger side fog light and i dont see a connector for the fog light. Instead i only see a ground wire. Wires then go through the bumper and attach to the wires of the fog light on the drivers side and then up and through the firewall. I am wondering if i can still use these replacement KC lights? The switch for these lights is an aux switch on the dash center console instead of the steering column. So im thinking the previous owner might have added the OEM factory set after? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
jeep.jpg   jeep2.jpg  
Dingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
I also have a similar problem as Bhamshooter. I want to replace my factory fog lights on my 2004 wrangler tj to match my KC hilites on my windshield. I found a good pair by KC that say they plug into the existing harness as you guys mentioned above. I was about to buy these pair until i decided to check my jeep to see if i could find the wiring harness of the original fog lights. I check the passenger side fog light and i dont see a connector for the fog light. Instead i only see a ground wire. Wires then go through the bumper and attach to the wires of the fog light on the drivers side and then up and through the firewall. I am wondering if i can still use these replacement KC lights? The switch for these lights is an aux switch on the dash center console instead of the steering column. So im thinking the previous owner might have added the OEM factory set after? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

If there's an aftermarket switch that is running the fogs then you probably didn't have them from the factory. Just tap into the wiring directly behind the existing lights and wire your new KC's into there. It may not be plug and play like you want, and heck it may even be cheaper to order some KC's that are 55W without the connectors and just splice into the existing wiring.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So about three weeks after I installed these, my better half finally noticed them. She said, for lack of better words, that they looked bad and cheap. I told her they were cheap, but that they looked identical to the KC Hilites I had on my old Jeep:

She then told me she never liked the way those looked, which is odd considering this was 15 years ago. Oh well.

But I handed her my latest Q'tec catalog and told her to knock herself out and that Christmas wasn't that far away!!
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Dingus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot for replying! just bought some KC's and planning to wire them in this weekend. Oddly enough I gave my mom my quadratec magazine along with a list of page numbers for specific items . Im sure ill see very few of them under the tree, haha.
Dingus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.