replacing dash speakers w/o folding windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > replacing dash speakers w/o folding windshield

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Jeepyj311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

replacing dash speakers w/o folding windshield

Hey guys I have a '93 wrangler and had my jeep rhino lined. It was sprayed over the exterior hinges. I told the guy I didn't care because I would never fold down the windshield. Well now I want to replace the factory in dash speakers. Is there a way to do this without having to fold it down? I would appreciate all input and if anyone happens to have a pic or too I would be grateful.

Jeepyj311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i belive on the yj's the dash panel must be removed to access the speakers, and my buddies jeep had screws that ran along the top of the dashboard. so youll probably have to pull it down, take a blade and cut the rhino liner off the hinges, or at least along the cracks and fold it down anyways. Its a jeep thing
heres some pics
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...cement-551707/
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you can try and do it without pulling the dash, but it is going to be a beeotch. Pulling the e-brake assembly will give you a bit more room to work with on the driver's side. If you have big hands, forget about it.

The passenger side isn't bad for removal and install, it's the driver's side that is a Major PITA. I tried doing it without pulling the dash and almost got the driver's side installed but because the threads on the mounting studs weren't straight I couldn't get the speaker to align properly and set flush, so I ended up pulling the dash.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Indy

Its been a long tome since i had a yj, i know i changed the speakers from behind without moving the windshield. If memory serves i only put 2 or 3 of the nuts on when i did, the 4th was a ***** and not important enough to deal with.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used a centrapod with my YJ...it'll let you step up to a 5.25" speaker too.
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I really want to give this a try order it and post a review lol

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2200.htm
Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.