Replacement Speakers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Replacement Speakers?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replacement Speakers?

If this isn't considered technical, please let me know, I'll move it
----------------
Looking to get some new speakers for my TJ nothing major just something with more bass. Right now I have the factory front speakers and some Panasonic computer speakers in the back seat (came with the jeep when I bought it)

I looked at these speakers but their no review so I don't know if its going to give me any bass or not cause they are the smaller front speakers.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2X0_PG.htm

Or should I get replacement speakers for the back cause I already have wiring towards the back with those computer speakers?

CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's best to replace the 4x6" front speakers with 5.25". To do this you'll need adapters like this.

You really should go and audition speakers before buying them. I don't think you'll hear much of a difference unless you replace your headunit.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Swacos_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if you want bass your gonna have to get a sub and box other then that good luck getting any bass lower then 80-90 hz

Big 3 [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/big-3-a-1231543/[/url]
Swacos_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I was afraid to hear haha.

I have a 12" and a 15" kicker subwoofer (love break ups haha) but that's it, no box, no wires ether. My ex made his own box when he had them so I have no box for them.

I want to put those in my jeep but I don't really want them to be visible so I don't know where I would put them or how to install them.
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

While I would "audition" high-end speakers for my home, auditorium, or concert hall, let's not pretend the Jeep environment is even close to any of those and is worthy of "auditioning" speakers. Not that any retail stores and few audio installers would let you do anyway.

Without installing an auxilliary amp, just look for speakers that have a high Sensitivity rating of 90 dB (decibel) or higher which simply means they will work and sound fine with the stock head unit. Polk is one brand of speakers that are well suited to Jeeps which have the required high >90 dB Sensitivity rating. One more thing to realize, a speaker's wattage rating is misleading to most people... everything else being equal, a speaker rated 1000 watts will be no louder than a speaker rated to 100 watts. Its wattage rating is only how much power it can handle without distortion. Going with a speaker that has a high Sensitivity rating and a lower wattage rating means a good match to the low power of your stock head unit.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I did with Blaupunkt Thb 200A....

Unread 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
This is what I did with Blaupunkt Thb 200A....

I like this, but I don't want to cut open my back seat, and I don't have any speakers to put in/know how to put in.

Call me crazy but I like how my crappy computer speakers can fit under my seats so I was thinking...should I just get a small computer sub-woofer cause they'll fit better? Or am I better off getting a small car sub-woofer?

I don't want a lot of bass, just some. I had a 93 Grand Cherokee and the sound in that was PERFECT. I just want some type of bass cause I listen to a lot of different music (Punk, Reggae, Dance). Nothing extreme like making the floor shake.

I also have this radio:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96082_3080.htm
if maybe anyone needs this information
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineC View Post
I like this, but I don't want to cut open my back seat...
You don't have to. If roll your seat forward you'll see the bottom cloth has a zipper (at least mine does).

You'll have to cut out two of the support bars though (no problem because you'll replacing the support with ply wood). A thin mount powered sub will fit. Far better than the stock sub between the two font seats (if you had that option). However the bass still gets lost at hwy speeds with the top off. Around town and on the trail it's a great addition and it doesn't loose any valvable space in the back.
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

TJ front speaker adaptor plates. There are many out on the Internet. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wrang...Q5fAccessories

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.