Replacement L/R speaker ('97 ZJ Limited) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Replacement L/R speaker ('97 ZJ Limited)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 09-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
Sterling90XJ

Replacement L/R speaker ('97 ZJ Limited)

A short while ago, our ZJ's L/R speaker started having a blown sound (rattling with bass). I finally got time to check it out, hoping that something in the door panel loosened instead. No such luck. Gave the stealership a call, knowing the answer would be scary. $108 for one Infinity speaker. Ouch! Looks like we'll be looking aftermarket.

My question is, what 6.5" speaker would be equal or better than the stock Infinity unit? Parts counter guy tried telling me that they each come with amps in them. I can't see that being true.

Since speakers usually come in sets of two, we would replace both rears.

'97 ZJ Limited w/ stock Infinity system

[B][COLOR=silver]'00 XJ 'Freedom Edition'
6" Lift and 33" MTRs[/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=darkslateblue][URL=www.arcticoffroad.com]www.arcticoffroad.com[/URL] [/COLOR]

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/637794]My Jeep Site[/url]

Sterling90XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Jailor

I had the same problem with my 97 ZJ Limited. The first speaker blew and was covered under the extended warranty so I didn't have to look into other options. However, several years later, another speaker blew. Simple resolution....buy a halfway decent 6.5" set of speakers from Best Buy or Circuit City or such. The Infinity speakers supplied in the Limited is a horribly cheap and pathetic speaker. Any aftermarket speaker would be an upgrade so don't get too worked up. Just remember, you'll have to drill new holes inside the door after you get the inner door panel off. The infinity speakers screw to the door a little differently than aftermarkets but its no big deal. And oh yeah, by the way, whoever told you that each speaker has its own amp is out of their mind. Good luck.
Jailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.