Replace KC 55w bulb or...? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Replace KC 55w bulb or...?

One of my KC 55w fog lights has a burnt out bulb. I'm thinking it's a moisture issue, because there is a bit of rust in the inside of the housing at the bottom.

Should I replace the bulb with the original, or get something else?

New bulb
$8.36
Bulb: 55w H3 Halogen<br> # 2551

The do have 55w ice blue for $5, not sure how that would look.
Bulb: 55w Ice Blue H3 Halogen<br># 2762 (single)

Just need a functioning fog light, but didn't know if it would be better to get two of a new/different bulb.

As for the rust, what kind of sealant could I use that will still allow me to open the housing in case I have to change the bulb again? I have some "the right stuff" gasket maker, think that would be too strong for this application?

Thanks

oh here's a picture of the rust I was taking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Woah, just found this!

KC HiLiTES Warranty Policy and Information

Quote:
We proudly warranty all of our products against failure for a period of 23 years. If a housing or reflector begins to rust, if a switch fails, if a cover fades from the sun - we even warranty all of our bulbs against burnout. Exclusions are abuse and damage caused by accidents. Defective products must be returned to KC HiLiTES, freight prepaid. At our option, we will repair or replace items in question and return them at no charge. This warranty is limited to the original purchaser and a sales receipt may be required.
Please include your name, telephone number, and a street address where the product can be returned to you. When we receive your product, in most cases, it will be repaired or replaced within 2 business days and then returned to you via UPS ground service. UPS Air Freight or Federal Express service is available at your expense.
Warranty items may be returned to:
KC HiLiTES
Warranty Department
2843 W. Avenida de Luces
Williams, AZ 86046
Tel: (928) 635-2607 (M - F, 7AM - 5PM MST)

Wonder if freight is cheaper than buying a replacement bulb...
post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lets say they didn't cover the bulbs, I'd still be curious about what everyone thinks for a replacement bulb

post #4 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with the free replacement KC bulb. Gimmick bulbs like that "ice blue" are just that... gimmicks. It's still a 55 watt incandescent bulb no matter how wonderful its hype claims it to be.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Stick with the free replacement KC bulb. Gimmick bulbs like that "ice blue" are just that... gimmicks. It's still a 55 watt incandescent bulb no matter how wonderful its hype claims it to be.
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll stick with the free replacement.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 PM
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Free Replacement

My free bulb will be here Monday or Tuesday! I still have 22 years and 360 days of warranty. So far, so good.

'98 Wrangler Sport, 4.6L Stroker
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
My free bulb will be here Monday or Tuesday! I still have 22 years and 360 days of warranty. So far, so good.
Awesome!

Did you just have to send the bulb back? And what shipping did you use to send it to them?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
madrabbitt

yeah, free replacement is best.

bulbs with tint cut down on the output, so avoid them.

also, if that rust gets worse, send the whole light in. they'll either clean it or replace it.

Installing HID's in stock housings is bad.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.