replace dash speakers or underdash pods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > replace dash speakers or underdash pods

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
newvances
2004 TJ Wrangler 

replace dash speakers or underdash pods

I'm considering replacing the oem factory dash speakers in my 89 YJ. They are not working...I heard they are a pain to replace.

I currently have 2 6*x9 in pods behind the front seats running through a 2 ch amp.

Would you replace the dash speakers or would put speaker pods under the dash?

Last edited by newvances; 09-02-2007 at 02:25 PM..
newvances is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
SirGCal

God I hope that's a typo... 25 speakers off one poor little amp... /cringe...

To replace the dash speakers in a YJ, you can remove the dash or just go up from behind, but it's more difficult.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

replace the front speakers, the dash comes apart fairly easily. We put some nice cdt comp's in my buddys 92 yj and it took maybe an hour including wiring an amp.

and the sound you will get from something in front of you is much better than frmo behind.
Unread 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
newvances
2004 TJ Wrangler 

took the wimpy way out. I dropped of the YJ to Circuit City and let those guys do it. I 've changed quite a few speakers out in my day and the novelty of doing it again was not there.

I changed out every speaker on my TJs and they were not that bad. However, I could see it being 2AM and I'm cursing because I decided to swap out the dash speakers on this YJ and lose all my electrical components. The PO pretty much cut all of the wiring too short and rigged up a wiring harness to the 1994 Sony CD player. Who knows what spaghetti is under there. I'll get into it when I have to. I'll save my energy for other projects on my list for this jeep.

The Speakers sound okay as in all of my jeeps it is hard to get really good sound out of 4x6's. One dissapointment was the tweeter on the speaker (polk db) was against the grill. No vibration at this point but may return and get them to put in a spacer.

Thanks everyone for the help..
newvances is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.