removing the #%!*&@% dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > removing the #%!*&@% dash

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-10-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
evilpsych

removing the #%!*&@% dash

anyone wanna tell me how to remove my Freakin dash so i can remove the old speakers and install the new ones? it was a pain in the *** but i managed to get all those little nuts off and removed the passenger speaker.. the driver's side one is being a pain in the ***..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2001, 08:01 PM   #2
9jeep0

Put your windshield down and take all the bolts off the top of the dash.I did mine that way and it was a lot easier.Make sure you oil the windshield hinges real well or you will bend the hinges.I bent mine and had to get new ones

Hope this helps
[color=red]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #14[/color]
2006 TJ 4.0
1987 MJ 4.0
9jeep0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2001, 05:10 AM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

drop the e-brake and their should be enough room to slide it in. I did both without removing dash or droping windshield.
Unread 11-12-2001, 10:26 PM   #4
Willis91YJ

Bonehead must have small hands. That e-brake stuff is craziness I tell ya! Take off the sport bar bolts at the windshield. Unbolt the windshield brackets above the speaks. Take out the bolts next to the speaks (the t-45 size) on each side. Flip down the windshield and then remove all the small screws along the top edge of the dash. Sounds compliocated but it only takes about 35 minutes if you have the right tools. Also If I were you when I pulled out the sport bar bolts, I replaced them with phillips head galvanized bolts from lowes. Makes it alot easier next time!
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:18 AM   #5
evilpsych

well sounds like a plan.. was wondering why my frame was such a pain to bend down.. will lube it up first and remove all the screws etc.. oh.. i get to put the old ones back in because the new ones arent going to arrive in time before my t-day trip.. least my wrist will feel better..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:20 AM   #6
eltj

The easiest way to do those speakers is to take a deep socket 10mm and reach up behind the dash. The factory only puts them finger tight and with the lock washers that enough.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:33 AM   #7
evilpsych

finger tight my ***! i used a 10mm socket and my fingers.. they were waaaaaaay tighter than just finger tight.. took me bout 5 minutes each nut just to break them loose

Unread 11-13-2001, 06:44 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I did the speakers on my YJ (I believe you also drive YJ), I found that a good sized prybar wedged between the tin and the body (once all the bolts were removed from the windshield triangle and the ones down the side of the body) was enough to squeeze my hand in and remove the nuts and then removed the speaker.

I had to do it a couple times as I needed to make a bracket to push my speaker away from the tin .. I choose the wrong ones .. had a large center piece that stuck out about 1/4". Argh!!!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 08:17 PM   #9
evilpsych

heh.. anyway.. folded the windsheild down.. managed to crack it in the process from an earlier stone crack. went to gettin on the bolts with my T-27 torx bit, two came off easy as hell.. the other 3 were pretty much stuck.. tried oil etc.. finally had to cut notches into them using my dremel so i could use a flathead to break them loose and get them out.. made the reinstallation easy as pie.. when my good ones show up it'll be a piece of cake and i'll replace the windsheild after i get back from the roadtrip.. lot of gravel roads back there and i figure it'll get some other cracks in it..

Unread 11-16-2001, 01:12 AM   #10
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On 11/03 Evilphych wrote: "gee.. someone didnt spend a lot of time looking on the internet. the only hard one is the driver's side one.. and it's easy to get to just by removing the e-brake assembly.. the passenger side one isnt that hard either.. man.. you guys didnt even look in your haynes manuals did you? actually describes removing the factory speakers.."
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2001, 01:15 AM   #11
evilpsych

yeah yeah yeah.. i'm eatin crow now
i got them out didnt i without removing the dash..
just reinstalling was too damn hardso i had to take the dash off..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.