Remove key from ignition - 6 sets of 3 beeps and flashing lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Remove key from ignition - 6 sets of 3 beeps and flashing lights

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
dhoegl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Remove key from ignition - 6 sets of 3 beeps and flashing lights

First post to this forum...
My '01 TJ has a very odd electrical issue...

It has been sitting for about 8 months with a major water leak (broken block heater in freeze plug and water pump).
Got the water leak fixed, now trying to get it running again.

ISSUE #1:
When I try to start it, engine won't turn over, no power getting to starter. Starter relay isn't getting power, and I've confirmed that the ignition switch is functioning.

HOWEVER...
ISSUE #2:
When I remove the key from ignition, I begin to experience a cacophony of lights and sounds from the dash (happens every time):
a) 6 sets of 3 beeps from the dash (chime is same one as though key was still in ignition) then silence
b) high beam indicator flashes for duration of chimes - but not in same pattern
c) front markers and rear tail lights flash continually (half-second on; half second off) for duration of chimes
d) instrument lights flash at same interval as (3)
e) the tiny red alarm light on steering column flashes multiple sets of 3 until chimes stop (this light never flashed before)

THEN:
I replaced with new battery and tightened all battery cable connections - same issue

THEN...
I removed IOD fuse for about a minute (I read somewhere that removing IOD will reset the key fob's security settings), replaced, and experienced the following:
1) after removing the fuse, the front marker and rear tail lights blinked in 3 sets of 30
2) replaced the fuse once the blinking stopped
3) Opened the driver's side door, and the chimes and lights began to do their thing exactly as spelled out in the above (a-e)
4) when chimes stopped, inserted key into ignition, tried to start it, then the same series of events above (a-e) occurred again

I have dabbled with electrical issues in vehicles for 30+ years - this one has me stumped.

Would LOVE to hear if anybody has a clue as to what is going on!

Thanks!
dhoegl

dhoegl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
chapmangm32

You have a jeep that is possessed. I've seen electrical issues before, but not to the degree that you are describing. My suggestion would be try to replace the main wiring harness. It's cheaper than computer, but if the harness doesn't work that would be the next step
chapmangm32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
dhoegl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

SOLVED!!
Had to surf the Web for the answer to my 'possessed jeep' electrical issue.
Turns out it was the 'valet switch' button located underneath the dash. Pressing this button with the key turned to ON was all that was needed.
My TJ has been resurrected!!

For those interested, attached is a picture of the valet switch under my dash...

Hmm... I wonder... Is that an after-market alarm reset button? Kind of looks like it!
v__3321.jpg  
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That does not look stock.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
dhoegl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I thought also. Someone told me that Jeep did some crazy, nonstandard updates like this (post-1999) without much documentation. Not sure that Jeep would actually do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.