Relay needed for 55w fog lights? Tap into existing relay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Relay needed for 55w fog lights? Tap into existing relay?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Relay needed for 55w fog lights? Tap into existing relay?

Hey guys. First off let me say that I thought I was good with wiring. Done so many car sound systems it's not funny. But this relay thing had got me thrown. I read the sticky and I think it said I dont need a relay for 55w lights.

I just wired in a set of KC fog lights on my bumper today. And my dad came over and had some old warn fog lights he's had in the garage since the late 90's. Anyway, I want to hook up both lights. Can I just get like a 30 amp rocker switch and call it a day?

Another option would be to splice them into the positive and negative wires on the kc system but im pretty sure it would overload it.

Im sure this is a pretty simple problem. Thanks for the help.

BTW, here are the lights he had. These are a little newer but same part# http://www.quadratec.com/products/97037_00X_PG.htm

SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about a relay for a single pair of 55w lights. You can go a long way w/o using a relay if you use the proper wire, fuses and switches. Hell there are 400 Farad capacitors out there that are strait wired... that's over 3000 amps at full draw.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd use a relay.
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
mylt1

everything gets a relay. its cheap insurance.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
SirGCal

Every set of aftermarket lights HAS to have a relay... Anyone who even recommends not using one is a complete moron and should be ignored totally. The reason-why is very simple; It's very cheap insurance to avoid fire, provide a faster than humanly possible switching system which reduces arching (lowering fire chances and switch damage even more), and even offer you brighter light output as a bonus.

HOWEVER; if you are using the stock wiring (REPLACING the existing fog lights), there is already a relay in the line (two actually but one is for the purpose we need here). However the wiring itself in the stock setup can only handle ~ 55W of lighting.

I hope that clears it up.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^ Thanks man, that clears it up. Relay it is.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.