Rear Speakers Mounted in Ammo Box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Rear Speakers Mounted in Ammo Box?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Speakers Mounted in Ammo Box?

I have a store credit at Best Buy, and they have these 4" Rockford speakers that are made out Polypropylene and polyurethane with an aluminum front. They don't claim to be waterproof, but they seem to be better than most. My idea is to bolt two ammo boxes to the top of the wheelwells and mount the speakers in them. I'll put something inside for backing, and use the rest of the box for tools. Am I nuts? Does any one else have a better idea?

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
kencaz

Sounds like it would work fine... you may want the 50cal box though the 30's are only 4" wide if I remember.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to do this, this weekend. Here are the speakers I bought. Pictures to follow.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069302879512
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
FlatlineCowboy

I would be afraid of the metal ammo cans creating a ( no pun intended ) metal sound. even with the poly stuffing.

Just seems like you could use ammo cans for something like tow straps and such items.. not speakers.

If you have to put speakers in, make an overhead rack for them, keep em outta harms way.

[CENTER][COLOR=White][B]White Jeep Club Member #513[/B][/COLOR]

[B]2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition[/B]
White / Spice
4.0L, Auto, Soft top, D30-F / D35-R
30x9.50x15 Wrangler GSA
(4) 100watt driving lights & (4) 55watt reverse lights
Silverstar headlights & paint bezels black
[/CENTER]
FlatlineCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
I think I am going to do this, this weekend. Here are the speakers I bought. Pictures to follow.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069302879512

Bought the 5.25" for my dash. Cannt wait to get my new windshield frame painted and installed so I can install them.

Curious as to your sound quality. Also how do you plan on locking the Ammo box? The 50cal I have doesnt have a way to do it. Unless Im blind.
Unread 02-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't finish last weekend, but I do have some work-in-progress pics. A u-bolt solved the locking problem. You can see it in the ammo box handle. I had a picture of the lock on it, but it was a blurry pic and I didn't post it.
pictures

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Mr.B; 02-14-2006 at 07:49 PM..
Unread 02-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
Aretelio
2007 JK Wrangler 

Assuming they sound OK, that's a pretty ingenious idea.
Unread 02-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
SirGCal

I would use some sound insulating material in the inside of the can (Suck as dynamat or at least rubberized undercoating) as well as polyfill. Plus, if you plan to put tools in there also, add a divider wall so nothing can get to the speaker area. Metal right at the magnet can mess up the pulling force of the speaker and screw up the sound some. Plus if something got in there and went through a vent, it would destroy the speaker.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally finished my speaker boxes, and they sound great.
pictures

I used some of that plastic floor mat stuff(see picture "feb1106-4") under the boxes to seperate them from the wheel wells. I cut some heavy duty styrofoam to protect the speakers on the inside, but it started vibrating at the higher volumns. So any suggestions on that would be helpful. The locks are going to have velcro to keep them from rattling. Someone suggested welding them to the wheelwell, but that's just to final for me. After all I might change my mind. Even though they are bolted down, I may add some chain to the rollbar and the lock, to keep people honest.
Yea I know, I'm bad with a rattle can.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Mr.B; 02-14-2006 at 07:51 PM..
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
got_4_lo

OMG THOSE LOOK AMAZING....

wow. those speaker's metal-ish industrial finish complement the box perfectly. and those boxes are killer. this is honestly one of the best little mods i have seen on this forum. that honest;y looks amazing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliment. I just read my original post, and the speaker covers aren't really aluminum. They are plastic with a metal finish.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
got_4_lo

np. because of you, now i'm going to buy these guys:

mount them bazooka style on the wheel wells, and put a couple 5.25's in there on the end. an then use the rest for storage. thanks for the idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #13
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I want to see pics of those when your done!

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #14
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

About the locks rattling .... MasterLock makes a rubber coated black lock. You could just use electrical tape around the U
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #15
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The velcro should work fine. I just finished them tonight, haven't left the garage yet though.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.