Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear Speakers?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Festaman 
#1 ·
I got my sytem form my last cherokee and am trying to get it into my wrangler. I got the 5.25 components in front and my sub in a custom box in the back.

I want to get my back speakers in, don;t like a sound bar cause it iwl make me go def, i ma looking for a set of something to go in the rear near where the roll cages ends by the trunk. Does anyone make something liek this?

Has anyone ever Tried the thor sound wedges? i saw thsoe to i jsut didn't liek where they mounted.

#3 ·
quad pod

I was thinking of getting the quad pod from quadratec. It holds a 8" and a
6 1/2" in each one. They mount up on the fenderwells in the "trunk". I just wonder how much room that will leave for storage. I would like to know anyones experiance with these! You can see them at quadratec .com search for Part#: 14136 200. Good luck

P.S. Could anyone tell me how to post links to other web pages?

#4 ·
i would say those are the next best option. the thor wedges place the speaker too far to the floor board....projecting the sound to your feet and the backs of the front seats. other than the quad pods, the tuffy storage things that go on top of the fender wells would be even better, but more costly; however, they do provide that safe storage for stuff. it doesn't seem like the quad pods would take up very much space in the rear.

the soundbar will not make you go deaf. just fade it to the front if it's too much for you. truely, the soundbar is the absolute best place for speakers. take the top down and you'll have to turn it up just to hear it

#8 ·
Now I don't want to be a loudmouth here, but I promise my stereo kicks! I have a JVC radio (the cheapest with cd player that pumps 45wX4) I wired that up to 4 (3 channel) KLH home theater speakers.
I used Plumbers ties to hold the KLH speakers to the roll bar above the front seat heads and the other two are strapped to the back where the roll bar meets the rear of the tj.
Lastly, i installed two subs running right off the "line out" of the back of the radio. They are Boston Accoustics COMPUTER SUBS! and they really kick. This entire system is awesome and is amazingly flexible - all the speakers can swivel to point any which way.
I bought the KLH for 60 total from best buy in their home theater department, and the subs are on ebay (they are boston ba635) for 10 dollars a piece. This may be way too much work, especially for a jeep that is meant for off roading, not blaring tunes, but I enjoy. If you want any help on this stuff, send me an email direct!
Andy of Pittsburgh
:cool:

#12 ·
You'd have to drill/tap new holes and extend the wires but yea it could be done.

You're not going to get phenominal imaging in a TJ. It's just not going to happen. I opt for the soundbar for the stealth factor and I use an EQ to tune the highs down so your ears don't bleed (the highs are what hurt so quick/mixed with the volume). Then use a delay to match up the speakers to the listening position (mine). But also remember, doesn't matter where the speakers are; any audio above 100dB for any period of time can be damaging to your ears. This is why I carry ear plugs for long top-off trips. (wind noise on a windy day going 65MPH with the top off can exceed that alone).

About the best match I've found so far would be a speaker somewhere on top of the wheelwell. It's good for front passangers anyhow (not so for rear). But stealth is out the window. Those quad-pods are anything but stealthy. They are most likly thief magnets if anything. Plus with 8" subs firing pointed center in the rear like that, you'll lose alot of sound (compared to other sub options) with the top off. If I was going to custom-do a full-on box, it would probably be a fiberglass housing atop the wheelwell. Something I could cover for weather though. (one reason I also like the soundbar. Somewhat protective of the speakers on top-off showers.)

If I had to choose between the quad-pods or the low-mount type wedges (the ones that fire seemingly under the front seats) I'd probably go with the low-mount. They maintain somewhat stealthiness and keep the soundstage below the bodytub threshold utill it gets to the front passangers. They are also more equa-distant than the soundbar giving it a bonus there for better sound overall (just not as much factory stealth).

#13 ·
Mdf

I htink iam gonan Build Boxes for over the fender to house a 5.25" and tweeter with a crossover. i wil build it out of .5" MDF and carpet with matching carpet from mopar.

this will be a summer project, i will post the blue prints when i get them done if anyone has some let me know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.