Random loss of 12v to accessories - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Random loss of 12v to accessories

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Sneakboxer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Random loss of 12v to accessories

My 98 tj will lose power to the followling items: cigerette lighter, radio, wipers, and turn signals (at the same time). Some times i loose it for a few moments other times it is dead for hours.
I checked for loose wires and blown fuses with out any smoking guns. This loss of power happens about twice a week or more. I don't want to crash because i don't have signals or wippers. Please vector me in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

Sneakboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For a no cost inpection, I would definitely [properly] test the wiring from the ignition switch to the Fuse Block behind the glove box. There is a BLACK/WHITE or BLACK/Dark GREEN* wire from the Ignition Switch (pin 8, HOT in ACCESSORY or RUN) that feeds all the fuses that protect those exact circuits that are dropping out on you. You may have to pull down the Fuse Block to inspect this power feed. Also, check the connection at the Ignition Switch.
Take notice to where a RED wire and the BLACK/WHITE or BLACK/Dark GREEN* wire goes to the Ignition Switch - pins 7 & 8 respectively. Pull the connector off Ignition Switch. Then, using a multimeter, you will need to check the continuity through the Ignition Switch (not the harness). While checking continuity, jiggle the switch and take notice to the meter. You are looking for an intermittent open circuit condition. If this occurs you found a bad Ignition Switch and the source of your problem.

(*) Right hand drive models, models with factory front fog lamps, Left hand drive export models
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Sneakboxer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Man! That is just the kinda help i was looking for. My ingnition could be suspect, the switch will not hold my key in it, the lock function is broken and you can start it with anything key-like. It looks like i'll be digging in this weekend.

Today the jeep would crank but not fire. I had fuel but no spark. I played with the key and disconected the battery and she lit right off. So that might be related.

I'll post back with what i find.
Thanks,
Greg
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Sneakboxer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The harness tested sat. I installed a new ignition switch and the problem seems to be gone. Thanks again. For anyone going to do this at home you will need some small tammper proof torx bits for the switch itself. There are some examples on youtube for getting the tumbler off the switch (it takes a little giggling).
Greg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.