radio wire colors (yes i read the sticky) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > radio wire colors (yes i read the sticky)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
westikle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

radio wire colors (yes i read the sticky)

i'm replacing an aftermarket head unit in an 01 cherokee and i have found wiring diagrams all over the internet but none seem the match with each other, or what i see in the jeep. now i've narrowed most of it down but there are three wires that i can't seem to figure out. one being a green with red stripe. the other two however, i've made [I]some[I] progress with. my harness for my new unit has an orange w/ white stripe wire for illumination that is supposed to dim the display when the headlights are on. coming from the jeep there is an orange wire, and a black w/ yellow stripe wire. i've tested them both, and both dim the display when i turn the headlights on. i just want to make sure i don't connect to the wrong one and have problems later on. does anyone have any information on this?

btw, i would have just bought a harness and done it the easy/smart way, but the idiot that put in the unit before me cut the factory plug off

thanks
wes

westikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

One wire will be constant 12 volts to maintain radio memory, and the other will be switched power for the radio. You radio wire harness may have extra wires for power antenna or remote amp turn on.

These colors match what is in my Factory Service Manual.

1997-01 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information

Constant 12V+ Pink/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Brown
Dimmer Black/Light Blue
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
westikle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks, i've found a lot of diagrams and charts giving wire colors. for the most part everything adds up. except instead of a dark blue/red, i have a light green. there is also a green/red stripe that i can't figure out. also my illumination and dimmer wires are orange and black/yellow stripe, and i can't figure which is which. they both dim the display when the headlights are on.
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
westikle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok so let me share my discoveries. everything is this same as above except for:

Right Front (-) is light green instead of dark blue/red
Illumination is Black w/ two Yellow stripes
Dimmer is Orange
And a Dark Green/Red that i have now idea and no info i can find mentions this wire.

All of the wires at the speakers are the same color as behind the head unit with exception to the front right speaker. The wire colors at this speaker are Light Blue/Black and Light Blue/Red. The wires then travel through the door to a plug next the a fuse block. The Blue/black wire entering the plug, leaves as a Blue/red. And the Blue/red entering the plug leaves as a Purple. The wires then seem to travel towards the rear of the jeep. Doesn't make much sense to me but that's as far as i can trace them.

Hopefully this info will help someone in the future that is dealing with different wire colors than what we have found on the web.
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
westikle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind this is on a 2001 cherokee sport 2WD.

Peace

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.