Radio Dead and Dome Lights Dead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Radio Dead and Dome Lights Dead

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
bigjeep310

Radio Dead and Dome Lights Dead

Hey guess Ive had an alpine cd player in my car for like 6 months and it has worked fine with the two front speakers well I decided to install a sub and amp. I wired everything up but the ground were I grounded it was iffy. I had the hood open so that light was on and the dome lights were on. The switch was on accessory (you know like when the fan will start) and I turned on the radio and it played though the front speakers and the amp had power only the sub wouldn't play so I got to fooling around with the sub control on the cd deck and nothing would happen I turned it up a couple notches and everything just went dead. All the dome light and the radio dont work. Everything elese still works fine. I burnt one bulb in the dome lights and I replaced it and nothing wouldn't work. I also changed and checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood and suggestions

Email me with questions

menace59@aol.com

Thanks

JIM

bigjeep310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Well the same thing happened to me, but it was just a fuse. Check again under the hood, there is a 30 amp (small green) fuse that controls the lights and radio.
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
bigjeep310

yea I have a 94 YJ though I didn't find a small green fuse. But under the dash I think it says radio relay or something and its not in there but it worked with out it before. Also under the hood there is a fuse called OID or something like that I dont know what it stands for. The guy at the stereo place in town said that the allumination with the radio is tied into the dome lights or something like that Didn't really understand what he said. so

reply back please

JIM
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
SirGCal

I'm not sure what he was talking about. There is an illumination wire on many units (Alpine included) that dims the head unit lights when the headlights are on... but...

It sounds like a fuse or relay went bad. I'd get a simple voltage meter and start tracing from the battery back into the system until I found the break.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
bigjeep310

Thanks Any more suggestions I will probably have to do that but if it is the cd player I still have warranty on it so Im ok in that situation.

Thanks Everyone

The thing that puzzles me the most is everything else works but just the dome lights and the radio

JIM
Unread 03-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
bigjeep310

Found the Problem

I found the problem today the actual power wire in the harness is shorted out. Anybody got a clue why it shorted out and Howcan i get power to the radio with out running from the battery cause right now i have it hooked into the illumination and everytime the lights get shut off before the car or the car shuts off the radio looses its memory !

Thanks Guys,
Keep Jeep'n

JIM
Unread 03-07-2004, 01:03 AM   #7
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There should be a constant 12V+ wire in your harness. It is always powered and should be hooked up to the 12V+ memory wire on your HU. Check in your head unit manual for which wire it is. Sounds like you hooked the illumination wire up to this by mistake. In addition, there will be a switched 12V+ wire and the illumination. Make sure all three of these are going to the right place (they can be easy to confuse) and you will be all set.

Good Luck,

Peter

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
bigjeep310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandroaddie96
There should be a constant 12V+ wire in your harness. It is always powered and should be hooked up to the 12V+ memory wire on your HU. Check in your head unit manual for which wire it is. Sounds like you hooked the illumination wire up to this by mistake. In addition, there will be a switched 12V+ wire and the illumination. Make sure all three of these are going to the right place (they can be easy to confuse) and you will be all set.

Good Luck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandroaddie96
Peter

I actually hook it up to the illumanation on purpose because the 12 volt in the harness is dead. Any got any ideas can i run a new power constant 12 volt if so tell me how could you please. Cause when its hooked up the way i do it looses the memory everytime.

THanks
JIM
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep310
[I]

I actually hook it up to the illumanation on purpose because the 12 volt in the harness is dead. Any got any ideas can i run a new power constant 12 volt if so tell me how could you please. Cause when its hooked up the way i do it looses the memory everytime.

THanks
JIM
Don't use the illum wire cause it's not designed for the load. It's simple to run a fresh +12V Constant for your radio. Run to an auto parts store and get a small spool of 12 AWG wire (red or yellow preferred) and a 12 AWG inline fuse holder and 20A fuse (likely a blade fuse for that size use).

Now run the wire from the radio, through the gromet on the drivers side firewall, then around the engine (in some wireloom preferred) with the other wires using zip-ties to secure it. Leave a little slack in the wire for extra room (you never know when you wish for 1" more wire...)

Once you get around the computer to the engine, put on the fuse holder and fuse. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal. (the negative terminal should ALWAYS be the first terminal off and the last terminal on.) Once the negative is off, disconnect the positive terminal (some people also use the mounting plate just inside the fuse panel located next to the battery in newer vehicles in the engine bay for easy connection. This is connected directly to the battery with 4 AWG wire which is plenty.) Connect the new power wire and reconnect the positive battery terminal, followed by the negative battery terminal.

Assuming your ground is ok, your now good to go and better off than running through the factory harness anyhow...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #10
bigjeep310

Quote:
Don't use the illum wire cause it's not designed for the load. It's simple to run a fresh +12V Constant for your radio. Run to an auto parts store and get a small spool of 12 AWG wire (red or yellow preferred) and a 12 AWG inline fuse holder and 20A fuse (likely a blade fuse for that size use).

Now run the wire from the radio, through the gromet on the drivers side firewall, then around the engine (in some wireloom preferred) with the other wires using zip-ties to secure it. Leave a little slack in the wire for extra room (you never know when you wish for 1" more wire...)

Once you get around the computer to the engine, put on the fuse holder and fuse. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal. (the negative terminal should ALWAYS be the first terminal off and the last terminal on.) Once the negative is off, disconnect the positive terminal (some people also use the mounting plate just inside the fuse panel located next to the battery in newer vehicles in the engine bay for easy connection. This is connected directly to the battery with 4 AWG wire which is plenty.) Connect the new power wire and reconnect the positive battery terminal, followed by the negative battery terminal.
Assuming your ground is ok, your now good to go and better off than running through the factory harness anyhow...

I dont understand how to hook it in. Can I hook into the fuse panel inside the car and how? Just put the wire in the hole and put a fuse on top of it. I really dont understand sorry Im dumb.

Help please !
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:35 AM   #11
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep310
I dont understand how to hook it in. Can I hook into the fuse panel inside the car and how? Just put the wire in the hole and put a fuse on top of it. I really dont understand sorry Im dumb.

Help please !
The simpliest thing to do is to get some 12 AWG wire from an auto store or electronic store. It's a common guage for automotive use. About 15' should be plenty. Then run the wire from the battery, to the driver's side of the vehicle. Then through a rubber grommet above the clutch or gas pedal that has nothing in it. (you might need to take the grommet out and poke a small hole in it to get the wire through. Don't run the wire directly against metal when going through the firewall!!!! Then continue over to the radio and wire it up. Back at the battery, put on a fuse holder with a 20A fuse. (You can get these from the same stores as the wire. Ask for a blade fuse holder for that guage wire and the salesman should be able to direct you to them. (They'll be usually around the fuses also which you'll need a 20A one...)) Following the fuse holder, add another 12" of wire or so (no more than 18") to go to the positive terminal on your battery.

Connect the radio-end first. Then the battery end. To connect the battery end, attach a ring connector to the end of the wire large enough to attach to the battery terminal. Disconnect the negative battery terminal first!!!! Then you can disconnect the positive terminal and attach the new wire. Reattach the positive terminal then the negative terminal. You should now be good to go.

If any of this still seems vague, you might want to go to an electronics installer shop. They'd do this simple task for probably just a few dollars. It should take no more than 15-30 minutes for an experienced installer.

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2004, 01:04 PM   #12
bigjeep310

With it directly connected to the battery will it drain it. I also have a power wire for my amp (subwoofer) hook to the amp with the affect it also !
One more thing since it will be getting constant power the memory wont be lost will it ?

Thanks,

JIM

PS I completly understand now In the firewall is where i ran my power wire for my amp too ! is that ok ?

Thanks again

Last edited by bigjeep310; 03-15-2004 at 01:07 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.