radio cuts in and out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > radio cuts in and out

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
genakab
1998 TJ Wrangler 

radio cuts in and out

this isn't in a jeep, but my girlfriend's radio in her car turns on and off randomly, not corresponding to bumps or movement. i checked the fuse, and it was fine, so i took out the head unit and tested the ground and the two +12 wires with a light bulb, and they have continuous current that doesn't turn on or off. my question is could there be another loose connection somewhere that would cause the radio to shut completely off (including the clock), or are these three wires the only ones that could affect that (besides a broken head unit)? any ideas?

genakab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
SirGCal

Even though you tested power. Doesn't mean one doesn't have a lose connection. Make sure they are all solid and in strong. There are two 12V wires (one constant, one switched) and a ground. If any one of those are lose, this will happen.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
genakab
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so if those three wires end up being solid and working, then its probably the head unit? im going to try to find a spare head unit laying around and plug it in and see if it works. i just dont want to get one and have it do the same thing.
thanks!
genakab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
SirGCal

If a new one did the same thing, it can only be something with the wires... But if you really wana test it, you could run a new fused wire to the battery, one to ground and use a relay to trigger the switched wire. Then you'd be sure it's not the wires (unless it's the one your triggering the relay with).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
EB23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it has a removable faceplate, check the contacts for corrosion and clean them with some electronic cleaner.

eb

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.