Radio cuts in and out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Radio cuts in and out?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Radio cuts in and out?

Whats up guys, Ive got an 00 XJ with a JVC head unit, Alpine speakers, Sony amp with an 12" Eclipse Sub and im having some issues with the sound system. The HU will work 100% but the speakers will give off no sound, but the sub will still hit to the beat of the song playing? The amp has the power protection light and it is on, but ive heard that is normal? the ground on the amp is good. All the wires seem to be good behind the HU. I would think the ground for the HU would be fine since it functions 100% just no sound to the speakers at times. It does it sporadically, i have yet to find a trick or way of fixing it to make it stop? the other day it was working, i shut the rear hatch and it quit on me im just really confused and hopefully can find some tips lol thanks guys any advice would be great!

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

well, the number one problem is all that mismatched equipment. trust me, jvc headunits don't like to play nice with other brands.

Have you checked the grounds throughout the rest of the system? off the radio, are the speaker wires frayed and touching someplace? Is there a bad connection some place that could be sending a surge through the system? Those will be the first things you should be positive about.

I have a similar problem, similar equipment, and for me it's the processing units inside the head unit are trying to crap out. everything except the amp cuts for less than a second then resumes playing like nothing happens. Everything works flawlessly except for that one problem that just randomly pops up. What sony amp do you have? I'm pretty sure most sonys have the green LED status light on all the time, it's when the orange or second light kicks on that you have problems. I've frequently tripped the thermal protection on mine, lol

My best advice, double check all the connections all around. it's possible a loose ground is the culprit. If that leaves equipment error, you can try to replace the headunit and try to get more compatible brands(i.e. sony amp and sony HU, jvc amp/hu, etc)

Last edited by Gearhead31; 09-27-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had JVC units in the past with no issues using other brand speakers or amps. Not the issue.

As was said, check the connections for the other speakers and all grounds, but to me if they all cut out, except the amp, I would do a head unit swap (especially if you can borrow someones for free) and see if that fixes the issue. I think it might be processing error in the head unit or a ground. Also check and fuses that are attached to it.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Second on try to swap it out with another head unit. I had a Pioneer that would sometimes cut the sound off for a second when I turned on the windshield wipers (and I lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time so I used the wipers a LOT). I took everything apart and rechecked all my connections, even got into the cowl to take a look at the wiper motor. I figured the head unit might have been sensing a drop in line voltage and starting to shut itself off when the wipers kicked on, so I went ahead and swapped the battery for a Die Hard Platinum one; made no difference. In the end I just swapped the head unit out for another one, the replacement has never once done it.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Mismatched brands are not the issue here.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I was trying to be sarcastic but in rereading,i see i screwed that up >_< i was making fun of jvc and the fact its stubborn.. The rest stands though
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.