Question for audio guys! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Question for audio guys!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
jholt20

Question for audio guys!

I am going to build a cutom soundbar this weekend as I am a decent carpenter but not really an audio guy. Anyway to the point I have already purchased two 6x9's for the bar and am basically just wondering if my receiver will push the 6x9's. It is a pioneer that was in the jeep when i got it I think it has a 200 watt max and it says 50x4 on the face if that helps out. I already installed and fabricated a bracket for the 5.25's i put in the front. I really just want to make sure it is going to sound decent. And also the plans I have call for 2" port holes for each speaker. Any other special things i need to know about before building this bar?

jholt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
ron4x4

three 8's will sound great so will one 12 or 1 good 10, Fosgate are good but if that is all the experience you have with subs, try JL or elemental designs. one 12 inch elemental will kick your *** in a good box with good watts behind it.
My .10
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
jholt20

I really dont want to have to buy and mount a sub. That is the main reason for my concern with the 6x9's. If my receiver wont push those I'll go smaller, if I could fit a 8' sub and not add and amp i sure would but I think two 6x9's will be enough for me personally but thank you for you opinion. I am really just looking for system specification before building.
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #4
jholt20

Anyone know?
Unread 03-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Pog
1984 CJ7 

Your Pioneer deck will push the 6x9s just fine but it will not be anything overly astounding in performance. I would make sure that the 6x9s you purchased have a higher sensitivity rating (i.e., 92db or greater) as well as a lower RMS power rating. Higher sensitivity speakers allow you to take better advantage of lower powered amplifiers such as the one built into your receiver. Your receivers actual continuos power (RMS) will be more like 17-20 watts per channel. That 4x50 Watt Peak rating is wide open and not realistic. Anyway, this is a quantum leap better than what a stock receiver could produce.

Honestly, I think your biggest sound quality issue will be that the 6x9s will be extremely overbearing sitting right above your head. Your front speakers will most likely sound non-existent in comparison. However, sometimes that stuff is a matter of personal taste.

I would not worry about trying to "port" your soundbar with 6x9s either. Those type of speakers are designed to run in a "free-air" environment. In other words, they use a airspace such as a cars trunk as the enclosure. However, a sealed enclosure will be easier to build and could tighten up your bass response a bit for you. A final good practice is to lightly stuff the inside of your box with poly-fill. You can get it very cheaply at Walmart or a hobby store in the sewing section. It is typically used as pillow stuffing. The short story is that it can help improve the sound quality of your enclosure by absorbing the soundwaves behind the speaker and basically tricks the speaker into thinking it's in a larger volume enclosure (i.e., car trunk). Have Fun.

Regards
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
jholt20

thank you very much for the input, that is what i have been looking for!
Unread 03-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
SirGCal

lkelly is just about right on....

I also wouldn't try to port a 6x9". And your head could power them, but you won't get steller volume from them on it. (I don't know of many 6x9" speakers with an RMS around 25W) Though, if you want to get by without a sub and have stronger bass, you could get stronger 6x9"s and add a small amp to push them to their rated RMS power. Just a small 2-channel amp for the 6x9" speakers should be easily able to be tucked away under the dash or in the console or somewhere out of the way and farily protected.

But that's just up to how much volume your after.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.