Q about CB antenna tail light mount.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Q about CB antenna tail light mount..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Q about CB antenna tail light mount..

Ya'll,

Got one of those tail light mounts for my CB antenna (as shown here)

Was thinking of installing it today and was wondering if I need to somehow ground the plate to the body (which would require removing paint from both the plate and the tub where they meet). Is this necessary or will the hardware that holds the plate itselt make a sufficient ground? Sorta concerned about creating bare metal on the plate and tub due to rust.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
wb2jte

ground it

Yes, ya gotta ground the base of the ant mount
TrXus STS Radial A/T 29's

The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member # 24

Wifes: 94 Grand Limited, 235's, stock
My Jeep XJ Page
Latest Pic
wb2jte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2jte
Yes, ya gotta ground the base of the ant mount
Do you mean the stud mount that the antenna attaches to?

This is the mounting stud I have

Everything to the left of the nylon washer (including the nylon washer) is mounted on top of the tail light plate. The part of the stud to the right of the nylon washer is below the tail light plate. At what point do I need to add the ground strap? The bottom part?

Don't have a pic of the install I did but can take one tomorrow if it would be helpful.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Unread 03-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #4
shookwell

I found that the bolts going into the body provide sufficient ground. Make sure to drill the hole to bolt it in higher up, or it will vibrate and bang against the body.

If you installed it already, just take it out and test it, if it works you did it right
Unread 03-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shookwell
I found that the bolts going into the body provide sufficient ground. Make sure to drill the hole to bolt it in higher up, or it will vibrate and bang against the body.
Yeah, I did that...and used a heavier 5/16 bolt instead of the 1/4" supplied with the bracket. Only wobble I seem to have is due to the Firestik quick disconnect I have mounted between the stud and antenna itself.

Here's a closeup:

Quote:
If you installed it already, just take it out and test it, if it works you did it right
Not gotten that far...I wanted the coax run inside so I drilled another hole through the tail light cavity (very top right hand corner) and on through the mounting plate & tub. Just makes it above the wheel well. Need to run the coax along the tub edge, bought some sticky mounting tabs and tie wraps today but the weather has turned cold so I probably won't do it until the weather turns again. A garage, a garage, my kingdom for a garage.

Unread 03-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
shookwell

i was able to run the coax through the hole for the taillight wiring, without drilling any additional holes
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i was able to run the coax through the hole for the taillight wiring, without drilling any additional holes
That goes into the wheel well though, doesn't it? The taillight wires were pretty damn crusty when I took the assembly off the tub, didn't like the idea of the antenna coax ending up that way.

Unread 03-10-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Here I go again but delete this if you want...

Sometimes you can get a ground connection through the mounting bolts but not always; a bad ground can cause all kinds of little problems and trcing it to the mounting bolts can be time consuming.
A good ground is obtained ONLY with BARE METAL !
That means that where the bolt goes through the mount and on the inside of the jeep, where the nut/lock washer meet the body, needs to be bare metal.
OR, Drill a smaller hole in the mount, in the flat area where the antenna mounts; not too big, #10 as a max size. Run a wire to either the frame or even the body. Use RING Lugs and external tooth star Lock Washer, but where the lugs touch the frame/body/mount it has to be bare metal.

You might want to use a Non-Corrosive Conductive Paste (I use No-Ox; purchased in a local electrican's shop) on all of the connections. Get it between all of the component of the connect too.

The bare metal area can be as small as the ring lug or as big as you might want it but you need bare metal.

Later,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF
OR, Drill a smaller hole in the mount, in the flat area where the antenna mounts; not too big, #10 as a max size.
Ahh, there's already a hole there, I noticed it before. Though the paint would have to be sanded off. Looks about the size of a #10 screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF
Run a wire to either the frame or even the body. Use RING Lugs and external tooth star Lock Washer, but where the lugs touch the frame/body/mount it has to be bare metal.
Right....company I work for uses nice braided wire for ground straps, wonder if I could con them out of a section

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF
You might want to use a Non-Corrosive Conductive Paste (I use No-Ox; purchased in a local electrican's shop) on all of the connections. Get it between all of the component of the connect too.
Hmm.....I probablhy have some of that in my work van, we used to use it on terminals of industrial size batteries.

thanks for the tips...

Unread 03-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote "Right....company I work for uses nice braided wire for ground straps, wonder if I could con them out of a section " Quote

The braid is better because of the flexibility.

Later,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.