Problem with factory RB1 and Satellite and iPod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Problem with factory RB1 and Satellite and iPod

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Problem with factory RB1 and Satellite and iPod

My Jeep came with the RBK radio and Satellite. I found an RB1 and installed it for the NAV and it receives SAT too, but I dont get the artist/song title info displayed. I bought a cable that is supposed to do that, but theres no where to plug it in. It has a 12-pin connector for the SAT receiver but an 8-pin on the other end. My wiring runs from the 12-pin SAT receiver straight to the 10-pin radio port. I don't have the Multiplexer (whatever that is). Does that come with it if the RB1 was a factory install?
Also I want to install a Mopar ipod integration kit I bought. Do I need the Multiplexer thing, and where do I get one? thanks, LT

BTW: this cable I bought is 10 feet long and it only needs to be 2 feet. Is that right?

Unread 09-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
HarleySteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same setup. If you search around here, there may be another way.

But I went ahead and ordered the multiplexer and one other cable. I will search for the part number if you want. That 10 foot long cable is right. If I was industrious I would see about shorting it.

'05 Wrangler Rubicon - All Stock(For Now) - 'Most Fun' Ride
(Mods So Far - RB1/Sirius/Ipod, Mopar Bikini Top' Dyed Black', Camp Jeep Seat Covers 'Dyed Black', More to come)
'02 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition (405rwhp/515rwtq 13.3 1/4) 'Alot of Fun' Ride
'68 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (302-2bbl Granny Edition) 'Cruisin' Ride
'00 Expedition - 'Travlin' Ride
HarleySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
XRussoX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You will need a whole different multiplexer and wire set for the ipod, PLUS one other cable. I have the diagram with part numbers for all this.

Here it is

http://home.comcast.net/~frusso1/RB1...iPod-Final.jpg

Russo
XRussoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah Harley, I think I will see if I can pay my brother to shorten the cables. He's young and really into electronics/stereos like I was back then. I could do it but I never have the time.

Thanks Russo, I actually got that diagram from you a while back. It helped me to order that 8220-cable. I am just now getting around to messing with it and found out I need more stuff.

I now have the RB1, Serius SAT receiver, Mopar iPod adaptor, and the mopar 82208322-cable. So I still need the Mulitplex splitter unit, Mopar 5066206AA-cable, and Mopar ILK 98469475AA-cable. It's supposed to display SAT & iPod music info and let you control the iPod from the stereo, correct?

Do you guys know of any online shops that sell this stuff or do I have to go through the stealership? Thanks for the help, LT
Unread 09-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
XRussoX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Think you have to do the dealership. I still haven't gotten my ipod kit or the ILK cable. I'm actually curious as to how much that ILK cable costs and how smooth the disk access is via RB1 on an ipod that has tons and tons of music...

Russo
XRussoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
HarleySteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered everything I needed from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213764

Reasonable shipping and much better prices than the local dealership.

(Mods So Far - RB1/Sirius/Ipod, Mopar Bikini Top' Dyed Black', Camp Jeep Seat Covers 'Dyed Black', More to come)
Unread 09-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks. I checked them out. Then I also checked pricing for the same items at a few other online mopar dealerships and they're a little cheaper and ALOT cheaper than my local jeep dealership.

1 problem, none of them has that ILK cable. The part number (04869475AA) doesn't give a result. I tried multiple ways to enter the search. Where did you get yours? Does it come with the iPod adaptor? I'm going to order the stuff tomorrow.

cheers, LT

Last edited by Roughneck; 09-04-2007 at 06:44 PM..
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
HarleySteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Let me see if I got everything. I tried to look up my old order, it didn't have the part numbers....

You have:
RB1
IPOD Integration Kit
Sirius Tuner
Artist Cable-82208322 Radio to Mux

You Need:
RB1 Support Bracket - 82208688 It is a pain to install, But I like the piece of mind, it's more of a Support Bracket than a Anti-Theft Device.
Multiplexor - 5066202AC
Sirius to Mux Cable - 5066206AA

The IPOD integration kit came with the ILK cable, it connects to the back of the radio, and the Artist Cable went from the Mux to the IPOD Kit, instead of the RB1.

Just found my old orders. Here is what I Had:

-eBay auction for a RB1 and a Sirius Tuner with Nav Antenna and Sirius Antenna. No Cables.

Here is everthing else I ordered to make it work:
-Sirius Install Kit(You Already have yours installed)
-Artist Cable
-Mux Box
-Sirius to Mux Box Cable
-Ipod Kit, Not the FM Modulator Type
-RB1 Support Bracket

With this stuff you should have everything. You will end up removing the cable from your sirius to the RB1. The super long Artist Cable I looped and velcroed and zip tied under the glove box, not in the way at all. With it setup this way all you need to do to add a CD changer, if you want, is to get one cable and install to the Mux box.

Hope this helps.

Unread 09-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ahha, I think I see the prob. I bought my Mopar iPod adaptor off eBay, and it didn't include the ILK cable. I will try to find one. That site you gave me has everything else at the best price I've found. I may just buy another ipod adaptor and be done with it. thanks for all the help.

cheers, LT
Unread 09-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
HarleySteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The IPOD Adapter should come with two cables. The ILK cable from the IPOD Box to the RB1, and a White Cable with a Ipod adapter and a Mini-Jack on one end and the other goes back to the IPOD adapter.

Just make sure you DON'T get the FM Modulator style, You will want the Direct Connection Type.

Install Hint..

I installed the Ipod Adapter Box in the Recommended spot behind the dash cluster. The best place I found to install the Mux box was Taped to the Upper part of the Sirius Box in it's installed position. I used the Semi-Permanent Double Sided Tape. If your Sirius is in the Factory Location, Attached to a bracket sandwiched between the Door Strap Pin and the Kick Panel, You will have no problems installing it there.

I have done ALOT of hard driving and everything is still solid. Just did a 4 hour tour on a 3.5 Trail near Tucson.

Good Luck,

Unread 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I bought my RB1 off ebay it came with the support bracket. I've been using it for a year. Yeah, it was a pain to install. I am going to get everything else from that dealer you gave me, but I am going to talk to them about what's included before I order.

I guess on my '06 they moved the SAT receiver to a bracket under the steering column, behind that knee panel. I think can expand that bracket for everything & there's plenty of room. That's also why I want to shorten the cables. Thanks for all the help.

cheers, LT

Last edited by Roughneck; 09-06-2007 at 03:10 PM..
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.