Powering my backup camera... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Powering my backup camera...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
redsox0229
2007 MK Patriot 

Powering my backup camera...

I recently purchased a backup camera for my 2007 Jeep Patriot. Its the kind that screws into your license plate. I'm not very good at electrical work, but my roommate is, so he helped me wire it. As of now, I have it powered by the reverse lights, so the camera only works when the car is in reverse. I would rather have it where the camera is always powered. My radio allows me to access the camera whenever I want, and I would like to be able to use this option. We tried powering the camera through the tailgate speakers and the cabin light, but neither had enough power to support the camera. Does anyone know of anywhere else to power the camera so it will always be on?

redsox0229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Run a dedicated switched power wire to it with a diode between the constant hot wire and the reverse lights.
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
redsox0229
2007 MK Patriot 

Can you try to explain that in more laymen's terms? I don't understand a lot of this electrical stuff.

Thanks
redsox0229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sure. Your current wiring you can leave intact. If you add a second wire connected to the battery then a fuse then a toggle switch somewhere in the cab and then to your backup camera, you'll have the option to have it always on or only on when your reverse switch tells your reverse lights to turn on and this your camera is powered. The electrical diode is kind of like a one way street that will allow that switch inside the cab to power your camera but not power your reverse lights by proxy.

It is a little more work to wire it but hooking it to an accessory powered wire instead of the battery will ensure that you will not run your battery down and it will only be on whilst the key is on. I'm sure your neighbor knows his way around RadioShack and can wire this up with you without a hitch.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
njboomer
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you coulld also just power the camera with an acc wire(if you have a cig lighter that turns on and off with the ignition you can tap into that) the camera will always be on... the reverse wire goes to your radio to switch the radio screen when put in reverse... and it will work when you force camera on with the radio..
njboomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.