power welder wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > power welder wiring

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

power welder wiring

I recently scored an old link arc welder160. From what I know, it's basically an old version of the premier power welder. An alternator came with it but is way too big to fit. Now time for the questions:

1. What are the wires coming out of the alternator for. I was able to find a very basic diagram, but when they are labeled as "blue" or "orange" it's difficult to figure it out. Here's the diagram
http://kodiakinc.com/weldingsystems/...erdiagram.html

2. Assuming some one knows what the wires actually are, would it be possible to wire it up to a durango alternator thAt would already bolt up in place of mine (01 4cyl tj). I ask this because looking at my alternator I feel like I see two battery cables and a two wire plug. While the one with the welder has four, plus a few extras hanging off a ways down the wire bundle

3. Does the welder need all of these wires or are some of them just for dummy lights on the dash??

I have searched a fair amount and haven't been able to find too much info about any of these questions. I'm hoping one of the electrical gurus on here will at least point me in the right direction.

jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dont these welders need their own alternator completely separate from the 12v vehicle system?

To be able to arc weld your going to need at least about 40 volts. So unless the vehicle system is disconnected before energizing the welder it would fry most of the electronics.

That being said, the orange and blue wires are simply for the field and regulator wires.....which is which I know not.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They do not, when the welder is switched on the alternator simply doesn't charge the battery. Which limits welding time to battery life. What are the black wires labeled" regenerative feed back " in the picture
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Regenerative feedback would to me describe a 'sense' that the alt was charging.

I think your best bet would be to email or call the manufacturer and ask to speak to their tech department, they should be able to direct you in wiring up a different alternator to their welder.

Just so you know tho....the stock jeep alternator is regulated from the PCM so when you flip the welder on and the pcm loses control of the alternator you will most likely have a check engine light come on.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.