Power Outlet on 06LJ has no power HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Power Outlet on 06LJ has no power HELP!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
90SaharaJeep

Power Outlet on 06LJ has no power HELP!

The 12v Power Outlet (next to the cig lighter) on my 06LJ has no power. I looked behind the glove box and found the cig lighter fuse but did not see the fuse for the power outlet. Anybody know where I can check??

Tanx

90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got your ignition key switch turned to the On position? That socket is dead otherwise

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
90SaharaJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Got your ignition key switch turned to the On position? That socket is dead otherwise
I thought the Cig lighter is the one that works on the key and the Power Outlet was always hot.

Either way mine doesn't work at all. Any ideas on what I can check??
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
lostissues
1987 MJ Comanche 

How are you coming to the conclusion that the plug is not working? is one of your devices not working? have you tried other devices to make sure that the plug from that device is working fine? most electronics have fuses built into the plug that goes into the cig lighter so that may have gone bad.
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
90SaharaJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostissues View Post
How are you coming to the conclusion that the plug is not working? is one of your devices not working? have you tried other devices to make sure that the plug from that device is working fine? most electronics have fuses built into the plug that goes into the cig lighter so that may have gone bad.
Yes I have tried many 12V devices and no power. Like I said I know its always supposed to be hot (unlike the cig lighter) but I've tried to run it with the vehicle on and off and nothing. Just dead.

I plan to take the bezel out this weekend and try to follow the lead, I'll check to see if it has a fuse built into it.

SO.. its strange the cigarette lighter has a fuse behind the glovebox but the power outlet doesn't and they sit next to each other... hmmm
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure which is which but the one on the left is the "switched outlet" and the one on the right is the constant. Which means you are correct that the outlet seems to be messed up.

Try with the key switch to accessory just to make sure there wasn't a change and both are "switched"

Was this vehicle a used purchase? Someone may have cut the lead to run some other electronic device (xm radio, blue lights, radar detector, etc) and wanted the wiring kept inside. I'm sure when you pull the bezel you will know for sure.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
saleen032
2005 WK 

I dont know about your truck, but my WK has 3 different fuse boxes, one under the dash, and 2 under the hood...Be sure to check them all...Did you look in your owners manual to find out which fuse controls the socket?
saleen032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
90SaharaJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen032 View Post
I dont know about your truck, but my WK has 3 different fuse boxes, one under the dash, and 2 under the hood...Be sure to check them all...Did you look in your owners manual to find out which fuse controls the socket?
No I haven't been home but I will tonight. It wasn't a problem till I took a long road trip to Canada and found I could not plug in my GPS and the kids video system at the same time!
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I woulda promptly stopped at walmart and quickly bought a splitter LOL
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.