Power cuts out on stereo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Power cuts out on stereo

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
ton12loc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Power cuts out on stereo

I have a 92yj. I had a jvc head unit in there for years and everything was fine. Then I wasn't getting sound to the speakers here and there. I figured it was the head unit going up. I bought another and installed and everything seemed fine. Now here and there the power just cuts out to the unit. It might come back on right away or in a few minutes. There really is no consistency. When I got the new stereo I got a new wire harness also and connections seems fine. Any ideas?

ton12loc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would look for a wiring issue, either power wires, or speaker wires. Most head units will trip an internal circuit breaker if there is a speaker wiring short circuit.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad ground. Check and make sure the connection is secure. Also make sure the radio is secure in the dash, sometimes they will slide in the metal sleeve and manipulate the wiring for a minute to fail then slide back into place and everything is normal.
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know how the YJ is set up but in my 03 TJ it was doing the same thing. Turned out to be the ignition cylinder. The key would back out while driving and the radio would go off. I found out I can start mine and pull the key right out. Once I figured it out I just lived with it. I just push the key back in and it comes right back on.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Miller97
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
Don't know how the YJ is set up but in my 03 TJ it was doing the same thing. Turned out to be the ignition cylinder. The key would back out while driving and the radio would go off. I found out I can start mine and pull the key right out. Once I figured it out I just lived with it. I just push the key back in and it comes right back on.

x2, the best defect of the 03 TJ. Its hard to look cool rolling down the street with loud music and then you hit a pot hole.
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it's that bad you may want to have a new key cut off the VIN # or think about having less key chain crap hanging off your key.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.