Poor Reception - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Poor Reception

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
FarleyBob
2008 JK Wrangler 

Poor Reception

Ok, kind of a boring topic, but my good old factory am/fm/cd is all of the sudden getting very poor reception. Do I need to replace my antenna or is it possible the head unit is dying? What is the usual cause. I have to be right on top of the radio station to get decent reception. I'm guessing I need a new antenna, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Unread 11-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The simplest/easiest test would just be to try a different antenna.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Thug Nasty

the antenna might have just popped out of the back of the deck. an antenna doesnt just go "dead". but hell, its a good enough reason for me to stick a nice deck in there (under 100 bucks of course, you know it will get stolen)
97' Blackie with 2.5 4 popper, 3 spd auto and 3.73's, tan top, half doors, tinted rears, 15 X 8 DC1's, 31X10.50 Baja Claws, 2" spacers with hydros, windshield lights (10$ specials), KC grilles so I can look rich, Chicago Electric REW9000 winch, Premier deck and front 5.25's- Xplod 6.5 in soundbar, cheapo discos, bored 4.0 TB and bored manifold, 4.0 intake, Fabtech steering box skidplate, aluminum radiator, 13.4 mpg
Thug Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check the connections. There are two -- one at the radio and one about halfway between the radio and the side of the tub (the wire from the antenna plugs into a jumper and the jumper plugs into the radio). The connection between the jumper and the antenna came loose on me once and I had crappy reception. I didn't realize that the wire was actually two pieces until I started digging around behind the glove box because the connection (on my vehicle, at least) was covered in a foam sleeve.

I'd check for frays in the cable, also.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
03Wrangler

sounds like you got the connector eather loose, or off.... cause without any wires connected, I doubt you would get anything... the wire is prolly acting as an anteanna for you... a crappy one of coruse..

dig in and see what you got..
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
madrabbitt

second on the connection behind the glove box coming loose

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
FarleyBob
2008 JK Wrangler 

good connections

Ok, I checked the cable and the connections are fine. I guess I'll go get a new antenna and try that. Should I look for a factory replacement or is there an aftermarket product that people are using?
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Fritz R.

Since the connections are good, I would think it is more likely that the HU is bad. I don't think I've ever seen an antenna go bad, but HU's.....

'97 TJ, 4.0L, AW-4, Flipped D300/4:1, ARB's, D44, Swayloc, RK LA, PC coils, Rancho 9000's, 33x12.5 Trxus, etc.
Fritz R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.