points to electronic ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > points to electronic ignition

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
jstltreat

points to electronic ignition

Can you use electronic plug wires on a point ignition system? Are their a difference in wires? My cj7 has a 1974 amc 360 and it misses bad especially at speed, and I am trying to figure out what the problem is. I have checked everything else, then notice the wires are for electronic ignition. Could this possibly be my problem. Thanks alot. Steve

jstltreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some electronic ignitions use points to trigger them, that's probably how yours is set up. One good mod is to replace the points with a drop-in replacement that has a sealed switch that duplicates what the points did... much more reliable than mechanical points are.

Sounds like it's time to take it to a shop that has an analyzer so you can see what each plug is doing. I assume you checked your points, set the dwell and set the timing? All plugs in good shape and the right plugs? Not Bosch plugs I hope.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.