Pioneer CD/MP3 Deck & XM Satellite Radio Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Pioneer CD/MP3 Deck & XM Satellite Radio Install

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-26-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
ZQ77

Pioneer CD/MP3 Deck & XM Satellite Radio Install

Hey People!

Have not seen any posts on this, so this should be interesting!

I own a 2001 Sahara, which came standard with a five speaker factory stereo including subwoofer. I was quite happy with the stereo, witht the exception of one thing...the factory stereo deck. I have been an MP3 enthusiast since college and I wanted a deck that I could play MP3s burned to CDs. I finally settled on a Pioneer DEH-7500MP (the 2004 model is very similar).

At the time I was not too interested in XM, but if I ever would be, this deck was XM ready. I am not to fond of the whole Roady setup and FM modulator crap. I started researching the whole thing on Jeepforum in June and was a both relieved and disappointed to learn that the Universal Tuner was being released, but not until September (At the time, I was damn sure not going to pay $170.00 for the Pioneer XM Tuner).

So, I waited. Today I picked up the Universal Tuner and Smart Digital Adaptor from Best Buy at $46.99 a piece. Now I am searching on ways to mount these components in my Sahara. So far I do like what people have been saying about mounting the antenna in the sound bar and these pics of mounting the Universal Tuner on the front passenger side.

But I have a few questions on doing the install myself...

1.) For those of you who did install XM, did you have to purchase any extra cable/wire for installing the tuner/antenna where you wanted (i.e. where the cables provided too short)?

2.) With the install on the '04 TJ Sport, the tuner looks as if holes were drilled on the interior of the jeep in order to mount the tuner. In my case, probably the Universal Tuner and the Smart Adaptor will have to be mounted. If this is the case, I just might have to find professionals to complete the install (I guess double sided tape is not and option, heh...)

3.) To intstall the antenna in the sound bar, where the hell is the zipper? Should I just mount it on the sound bar using double sided tape? I checked on both the passenger and driver's side but on each look to be where the zipper ended. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks! Feedback is much appreciated. With pics of your install of a similar setup, even more appreciated! I will be more than happy to post pics when the job is done to give others an idea of how to install their XM systems! If this is something a friend and I should o not try to do, any referrals to an Car Stereo shop in the Raleigh/Durham/Garner, NC area will be greatly appreciated!

-Z

Unread 09-27-2004, 02:04 AM   #2
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQ77
Hey People!

Have not seen any posts on this, so this should be interesting!
Probably because you posted and checked in the wrong area. Try Radio and Electrical (on this forum). Your questions are better suited for that area, and probably will get answered there (and probably by SirGcal ).
[COLOR=red][B]MODS: [/B] [/COLOR] [B]4.5 RE SUPERFLEX / 33inch SSR'S / WARN REAR BUMPER / JEEPERS & CREEPERS T-BODY / J&C DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM / J&C FRONT & REAR DIFF GUARD / WARN XD9000i WINCH & RECOVERY GEAR / ARB BULLBAR / PSC FULL ROLL CAGE / L.E.D TAILLIGHTS / IPF 930 SUPER RALLY LIGHTING / COBRA 75 WX ST CB / POWER TANK PT-10 OBA / TOM WOODS C/V / GARMIN 60CS GPS[/B]
[COLOR=red][B]CURRENT PROJECT:[/B][/COLOR] [B]Nth DEGREE ARMOR INSTALL[/B]
ONE JEEPBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
ZQ77

Ooops!

*DUH* I am such a n00b! Ty, I will post under Radio and Electrical
Unread 09-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I've been watching the forums over at www.xm411.com and www.blitzsafe.com (the manufacturer) as these adapters were being tested...

I'm going to pick up one for my Sony HU sometime soon...

so, I don't know if the cables are long enough...but I will offer my suggestion as to where to mount the tuner box...

I installed a Bestop Insta-trunk, and have my amp mounted on the underside of it:

I left plenty of room on the passenger side to mount that tuner...I'll just have to see about the cables before I decide where the adapter will end up...

the antenna might sit on the top of the Insta-trunk, underneath the Duster cover...or, it might go on the top of the soundbar (but I haven't looked as to "how" to get it there)...I'll assume once the hard top goes on for the winter that the sound bar is where it will need to stay...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.