"Performance chips" OBD2 plug in fpr 4.O L6, jet performance, whats the deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > "Performance chips" OBD2 plug in fpr 4.O L6, jet performance, whats the deal?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
jamoka3
1997 ZJ 

"Performance chips" OBD2 plug in fpr 4.O L6, jet performance, whats the deal?

well i gotta 97 zj OBD2 compliant, I saw performance chip upgrades by jet and even some Mopar plug and play "chip" options, whats the deal with these do they even work?
does anyone have one for the 4.0L and if so did you really feel a difference?
cant seem to find any real results from them but there over 200 bucks for the performance plug and play applactions... thats a lot, for a non proven claim!

DOES SOMEONE HAVE REAL RESULTS??

jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
jamoka3
1997 ZJ 

wow i guess there not used to much then....
jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chips only do anything (and then not that much) at extremely high engine rpms and at wide-open throttle. They can also require you to run high octane fuel afterwards to keep the engine from pinging. Unless you race your ZJ at the dragstrip, I'd save your $$$ since you won't really feel any difference in normal driving.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
bimmer4life2009

Don't waste your money on these. I was thinking about getting a performance chip too, but it looks like these things don't do crap. I was reading this performance chip article about it, and it looks like these things don't work at all

Last edited by bimmer4life2009; 09-21-2009 at 02:01 PM..
bimmer4life2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For the Jeep 4.0L, you make HP the old fashioned way, bore the Throttle body, use a K&N style air filter or cold air intake, install a cat-back free flow exhaust and a header.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The easier air comes in and gets out the better performance you'll have.

That's the only real way to feel any difference in these engines. Eliminating some things like an AC compressor or installing an electric fan instead of using the clutch fan helps too. I have the 2.5L so trust me on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
mikeps3speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life2009 View Post
Don't waste your money on these. I was thinking about getting a performance chip too, but it looks like these things don't do crap. I was reading this performance chip article about it, and it looks like these things don't work at all
Hey thank alot for that article, it was really interesting

Jeep Tail Lights
mikeps3speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.