The Perfect 1.5" Din Head Unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > The Perfect 1.5" Din Head Unit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Perfect 1.5" Din Head Unit

I thought this was awesome. I was on another forum and saw this pop up and thought I would share it with you guys. I love the stock look of it. It fits perfectly in the newer model TJ's but looks like you can modifiy the older ones to make it work. and my favorite thing about it is the rear Ipod adapter cable to run to the glove box so you dont have some stupid cables hanging off the front.

Here is the link to the other thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/new-...es-187044.html

bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool radio, I went ahead & moved your post to the audio section where more who are looking for new head units will see it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's cool, Thanks Jerry.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've been talking with the original poster on the other forum. The unit has 45watts x 4 output, bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, among other things. Comes shipped direct from China for about $400.
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

Who is the manufacturer? I checked the web site, but couldn't determine who makes it. This looks fantastic, I wish the other manufacturers would incorporate the custom face plates like this.
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm still interested in it, but haven't seen a detailed review of all of its functions. And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where it can control the OEM Sirius tuner... map updates would be another concern. As outdated as the RB1 is getting, they're STILL pumping out new update discs for it...

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bump, for more visibility and insight.
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

UGH. I know this unit well and should probably share a bit of info.

Firstly, some background. I'm involved with Insane Audio. We have designed and have been working on building a custom in-dash navigation and multimedia unit for late model TJ's for quite some time. You can find out more about the TJ1001 at www.insanejeepaudio.com

At some point in time, we were working with some factories in China to source some parts. Apparently, a competing factory got a hold of the mold and an early software revision and decided to start manufacturing their own unit. I suppose that's the price you pay for doing business with China -- it's the friggin' wild wild west out there when it comes to manufacturing.

At any rate, here is what you need to know --

1). None of the software that comes with that unit is legal. It may have come with no nav software, or it may have come with a hacked version of IGO. Either way, it isn't licensed and there will never be map updates. EVER. (n.b. the cost of licensing GPS software and maps is very high) Not to mention the fact that the hacked version will be a very old revision of the GPS software and is very far removed from the current version of our software (with true 3d cityscapes, advanced POI's, etc).

2). The hardware and base software of that unit is a very early revision of what we were building at Insane Audio. In fact, it failed our quality control tests. Here is a quick short list of the problems: It won't work with the upgraded factory premium sound system (7 speakers with sub) due to a problem with the embedded amp, the CPU has a problem overheating and melting the circuit board, it has a built-in TV tuner (and a TV button).. but it's only for NTSC (and NTSC television hasn't worked in the US since 2009)

3). There are a number of annoying bugs and such from that revision that have obviously been fixed since. There is no menu button on the face of the unit (this may seem minor, but it's a pain when you can't actually get to the main menu), no random play ability on USB or the SD card, no HD radio, various bugs with audio when playing back movies on the SD card, etc.

All that being said, however, $400 is still dirt cheap for all that functionality... they're charging a wholesale price without any software or map licensing fees. But then again... you get what you pay for.

When the TJ1001 is released by Insane Audio (expected this summer)... there will be no bugs, no overheating problems and maps will be current with full support for updates.

Just thought I'd share the straight dope...

(but again.. $400 is still REALLY CHEAP!)
InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've been afraid that this was to good to be true. Plus the fact that you have to order out of China. Very interested in the head unit, that you have in developement.
Please keep us all informed.
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
InsaneJeepAudio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

FYI -- I started another thread where I was looking to get some feedback from hard core Jeepers to send back to the development team. I was also planning on posting updates there from time to time...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/l...-unit-1486830/
InsaneJeepAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder how the OPs head unit held up?
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
BillBert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneJeepAudio View Post
UGH. I know this unit well and should probably share a bit of info.

Firstly, some background. I'm involved with Insane Audio. We have designed and have been working on building a custom in-dash navigation and multimedia unit for late model TJ's for quite some time. You can find out more about the TJ1001 at www.insanejeepaudio.com

At some point in time, we were working with some factories in China to source some parts. Apparently, a competing factory got a hold of the mold and an early software revision and decided to start manufacturing their own unit. I suppose that's the price you pay for doing business with China -- it's the friggin' wild wild west out there when it comes to manufacturing.

At any rate, here is what you need to know --

1). None of the software that comes with that unit is legal. It may have come with no nav software, or it may have come with a hacked version of IGO. Either way, it isn't licensed and there will never be map updates. EVER. (n.b. the cost of licensing GPS software and maps is very high) Not to mention the fact that the hacked version will be a very old revision of the GPS software and is very far removed from the current version of our software (with true 3d cityscapes, advanced POI's, etc).

2). The hardware and base software of that unit is a very early revision of what we were building at Insane Audio. In fact, it failed our quality control tests. Here is a quick short list of the problems: It won't work with the upgraded factory premium sound system (7 speakers with sub) due to a problem with the embedded amp, the CPU has a problem overheating and melting the circuit board, it has a built-in TV tuner (and a TV button).. but it's only for NTSC (and NTSC television hasn't worked in the US since 2009)

3). There are a number of annoying bugs and such from that revision that have obviously been fixed since. There is no menu button on the face of the unit (this may seem minor, but it's a pain when you can't actually get to the main menu), no random play ability on USB or the SD card, no HD radio, various bugs with audio when playing back movies on the SD card, etc.

All that being said, however, $400 is still dirt cheap for all that functionality... they're charging a wholesale price without any software or map licensing fees. But then again... you get what you pay for.

When the TJ1001 is released by Insane Audio (expected this summer)... there will be no bugs, no overheating problems and maps will be current with full support for updates.

Just thought I'd share the straight dope...

(but again.. $400 is still REALLY CHEAP!)
How does someone just happen to get a hold of your mold? It is not like there are dozens, or even more than one or two. They cost 10s of thousands of dollars to make. They can be very heavy. If you switch manufacturers to make a production run, usually you would ship your mold over to the new factory who will be producing your product. Now if you say they copied your mold, I could respect that, but you make it sound like it was just laying around and they took one. Your approach is making me very suspect of your whole story!
BillBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
BillBert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, how does one either visit your facility and or talk to a live person on the phone?
BillBert is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.