passenger seat weight sensor (Air Bag Sensor) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > passenger seat weight sensor (Air Bag Sensor)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
mekirk2

passenger seat weight sensor (Air Bag Sensor)

I unbolted and disconnected my wifes passenger seat in her 05 Grand Cherokee to install a gun holster in the console last week. When I put everything back together, the air bag light came on. After researching the forums and talking to a couple of mechanics and the dealer, I made an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow morning to re-calibrate the sensors.

My wife drove it all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday (she is a home healthcare nurse) and said the light was on the entire time. Tonight, since I had to have the seat re-calibrated tomorrow, I unbolted the drivers sear and passenger seat to shampoo the carpets under the seats. The only thing I did different was I didnt disconnect the airbag sensor plugs and I turned the ignition on while the seat was unbolted. When I was done, I put everything back together and the light never came on! I drove it around the block and it didnt come on. I can set a bookbag in the seat and the 'airbag off' light came on, then went off when I removed the bag (like it is supposed to).

I guess my question is has anyone else's airbag light reset itself like that after being on for a few days? Everything I read here stated that there wasnt a way to reset the light without going to the dealer (for the seats that have to be calibrated).

Thanks in advance!

mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
mekirk2

As a follow up on this - there are four (4) weight sensors from what I understand, one at each corner near the mounting bolts where the seat mounts to the floor. If you removed the seat and reinstall it, the torque on those sensors can change, causing a negative weight to be registered by the airbag system. The seat has to be recalibrated to zero like a shipping or bathroom scale to correct the error. When you sit in it, the sensor 'sees' a positive weight and all the lights go out.

Or, if you are lucky, you can uninstall the seat and reinstall it a second time like I did, changing the torque on the bolts again, hopefully resetting everything back to normal (worked for me - maybe I should play the lottery).

If the light came on without uninstalling the seats, you might have a bad sensor or one is unplugged. See if you have something stuck under the seat near the mounts.....
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.