ohm impedence - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > ohm impedence

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Closed Thread
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ohm impedence

Hey guys another question,

I just bought the Cobra 25 wx st CB system and the 35 dollar PA powerhorn speaker from Radioshack. I am thinking about buying an amp to hook it through because apparently you also need an amp to make the powerhorn sound loud.

My question is, the pa speaker is
8 ohm impedence
350-9000mhz frequency response
110db MHZ output
50w rms power hoandling
100w Maximum power handle

can I just get any amp to fit it? or does it also need to be 8 ohms? I heard of a guy who bought 8 ohm amp but had 4 ohm speakers so it wouldnt fit. So, im confused.

Thanks

KodiakBuzz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Someone Tell Me, Im About To Go Buy A Sub And Amp Which Im Hopign Will Workkkkk
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
GCool
2007 JK Wrangler 

8 ohm is a high impendance speaker for a car. Will it work yes. the hard part will be to find a amp that makes any kinda of power @ 8 ohm. At the least you will find most amps will make less power at a higher impendance.
Thanks to the new sponsor Sundown Audio!
GCool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, yea that 8 ohm impedance is solely my powerhorn pa. As for my speakers I have no idea what ohms they are. But is there a chance the amp might not be compatible with my speakers? I think theyre sony.... not that the brand name helps any.
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
GCool
2007 JK Wrangler 

are you hooking up a caraudio amp up to the 8ohm speaker? if so you wont have any problems other than not getting the max power out of your amp.
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the amp is from audiofonics apparently from Pimp your ride, its attached to the custom sub box for 2003-2006 jeep behind the rear seat with JBL speakers . As for my speakers I have no idea what the ohm impedance is.
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Car audio amps are generally rated at 4 ohms. When you power an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp the speaker will only receive about 1/2 of it's rated power. The RMS of the PA speaker is 50 watts which means you could probably get away with a 100 watt 4 ohm amp.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

oh nice. So if I ever have a difference in ohms between the speaker and amp, I shouldnt ever have compatibility issues just power issues right?
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Correct - but you don't really want to go the other way unless you have quality amps/speakers i.e. don't power 1 or 2 ohm speakers with a crappy amp or it won't last long - the amp has to be designed to sustain that load.

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hmm. Say i have 4 ohm speakers, and a 4 ohm 1500w amp... what would you say... good bad?

On another note i got a free papaya from Ralphs the neighborhood grocery store. Clerk rang it up wrong by like 5 bucks and she just gave me a 100% refund and I kept the papaya. YEA
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
GCool
2007 JK Wrangler 

you just never want to go lower impeance than an amp wants to play.

btw congrats on the papaya !
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakBuzz View Post
hmm. Say i have 4 ohm speakers, and a 4 ohm 1500w amp... what would you say... good bad?

On another note i got a free papaya from Ralphs the neighborhood grocery store. Clerk rang it up wrong by like 5 bucks and she just gave me a 100% refund and I kept the papaya. YEA
You don't want to exceed the speakers rating of 50W so if you have a 4 channel 200W RMS amp you would be ok if you only send 1 channel to the speaker; but you wouldn't want to bridge 2 channels and send 100W to the speaker...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you need to hook up the PA to an amp? It's already rated at 110dB efficiency, one of the highest available likely due to the horn. Efficiency ratings are taken with only 1 watt input.
I'd try it as is, unless you want to talk to Tijuana from your driveway
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
KodiakBuzz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

whoa, so are you telling me with an adaptor I can just hook the pa up the my CB cobra 25 wx st and have the full 50w rms or 100w powder?
Unread 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sheesh, much ado about nothing. His PA speaker will not require many watts to drive it to full power output at all, all this worry about amps not putting out their entire wattage capability into 8 ohms is pretty meaningless. A small simple amp is all that is needed, no high-end audio amps need apply.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.