Offroad Rev Lights (Aux) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Offroad Rev Lights (Aux)

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Xenophage
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Offroad Rev Lights (Aux)

I am in the process of wiring up my lights in the rear bumper and I have the switches the relay the lights and the wire. I have everything figured out but where should I get my power from. I donít want 12v running into the switches because I will probably melt them. What would you guys suggest I draw from?

Itís a three way switch (on / off / on)

I have the power from the reverse lights coming up to the switch to activate them normally with the stock lights (not spliced in but to trigger the relay)

Xenophage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
SirGCal

The switch won't melt if you run it directly to battery. It will only draw what the circuit requires unless there's a short in which the fuse should blow. Fuse the switch to 3A if you run it to the battery. (do so at the battery)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Xenophage
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good call. I was wondering how to limit the draw. Thanks
Unread 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Xenophage
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 30 amp relay. What would the draw to flip the relay be?

Oh and what would be a good ground near the rear or is it better to go to the firewall.?
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophage
I have a 30 amp relay. What would the draw to flip the relay be?

Oh and what would be a good ground near the rear or is it better to go to the firewall.?

The switching circuit will only draw maybe an amp... put on, and wire for 3A to be safe but it should never exceed that. Ground on any paint-free chassis location (grind away the paint and use self taping screws if you need to. Spray to protect after connection.)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I'm going to say this and not trying to seem stupid because I do not think I read it but you are going to mount the Relay(s) in the Engine Compartment, RIGHT... ?

I know you said you are all set but just thinking again...

What is the wattage of the lights ?

What gauge wire are you running to the rear for power from the relay ?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.