Offroad Lights wiring writeup, Brights dimmable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Offroad Lights wiring writeup, Brights dimmable

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Offroad Lights wiring writeup, Brights dimmable

Okay, for starters I bought my Jeep YJ with windshield mounted KC's installed, but not working. Approximately 5min of troubleshooting lead me to realize the wires were chaffed through and shorted out. This lead me to rewiring the whole mess. As I was looking at the PO's wiring job I became very disgusted to find that he had pulled the power for the lights from the clock circuit by jamming the stripped wire into the fuse end: not good for offroad lights.

Thats when I started looking into wiring schematics and planning out my method of doing it right. To start with you need to know the power output of your lights. Mine were 2 @ 100W but I calculated at 130W cause I might upgrade at some point. Next you need to decide how you want to control your lights. I wanted the ability to shut off my offroad lights along with my brights for the times I am out in the sticks without other drivers to worry about. This requires splicing into the dimmer wiring. I also wanted to turn my lights on independently of the headlights for whatever the reason may be. Below is my schematic I ended up making to guide me.

260W of power gave me a single 10AWG power wire feeding the 30A relay I bought at RadioShack. I posted a picture of the type of relay I used at the bottom.

The rest of my wiring was 14AWG mainly because I think its best to go a little heavy on the wire and fuse it appropriately, and its what I had on hand already. These wire sizes are from my own calculations given the facts taht I am powering two lights from one relay with no single wire being longer than 6ft. Wire length is important to think about when planning electrical installations, just like current and voltage are important. I used a 25A fuse at the battery to limit the max amps my lights could pull, and it is lower than the rating of the wire and the relay for good wiring practices. The "hot" side of my in-cab switch has a 3 amp fuse at the battery, which is well below the power rating for the switch I bought and the wiring I used. Remember that the switch only powers the relay, which requires very little current.

I chose a 3-way toggle switch with a center "off" to turn my relay on. One side of the "on" comes directly from the battery, and the other comes from the high-beams hot wire (its only hot when the high beams are on). I used a multimeter to determine which wire to splice into right by the dimmer switch on the steering wheel.

Be careful about an installation such as this because if you accidentally leave the offroad lights on with the Jeep off, you'll drain your battery quickly.

auxillary-lights-wiring.jpg   30a-relay.jpg  

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today

Last edited by YJhobby; 02-19-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Hmmm.. nice diagram !! Good work on the trouble shooting.. sounds like PO wasn't as confident.
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hope it helps others who want to wire their own lights, but are unsure of how to begin. As long as safe wiring practices are used, along with a good dose of common sense, this is really very easy.

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
JEEP_GREEN_4DR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sweet!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Wiring up 3x100W on my bumper and another 2x100W on windshield mounts from scratch. I want to run these on two separate circuits/switches, so it was really helpful to see this diagrammed.

Edit: using 10AWG throughout - Just in case!

Last edited by JEEP_GREEN_4DR; 02-25-2010 at 10:28 AM..
JEEP_GREEN_4DR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP_GREEN_4DR View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for. Wiring up 3x100W on my bumper and another 2x100W on windshield mounts from scratch. I want to run these on two separate circuits/switches, so it was really helpful to see this diagrammed.

Edit: using 10AWG throughout - Just in case!
Good plan on 10AWG... definately think about multiple relays and power wires from your battery since you've got a total of 5 lights. Also your main power from the battery should be bigger too, depending on the length of wire and total power to the lights. Just do the math.

Unread 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
JEEP_GREEN_4DR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJhobby View Post
Good plan on 10AWG... definately think about multiple relays and power wires from your battery since you've got a total of 5 lights. Also your main power from the battery should be bigger too, depending on the length of wire and total power to the lights. Just do the math.
Yup. I'm doing 2 independent circuits, each properly fused to the amount of draw for the lights on that circuit. The 2x100W on the windshield will have their own fuse/relay/switch rated @ 20A on a 30A relay and for the 3 on the bumper, I'll do the same thing fuse rated @ 25A and a 30A relay.
JEEP_GREEN_4DR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Sofla1984
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice diagram!

I just rewired 6 Kc's, four forward and two side facing roof mounted. I searched everywhere for a diagram like this. I ended up having to contact KC to get one. The previous owner was a wiring systems worst nightmare!
Sofla1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.