Offroad Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Offroad Lights

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
cnel221

Offroad Lights

I am looking to get some offroad lights for my ZJ. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if I should get a top mount light bar or front mount?

cnel221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
kencaz

I would say say that the top mounted would give you better coverage, but can be a glare problem in misty conditions.

bumper mounted does not have the glare problem, but casts strong shadows which can be a problem trying to see how deep a hole or drop off in front of you is.

Get both if you can.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
cnel221

Thank you for the advice. Do you know where i could find a good one of these for my 96 Grand Cherokee, I've looked around but i'm having trouble finding something for a ZJ
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

You could run two sets of lights on the bumper but mounted as high as possible, two flood and two pencil beams, the two flood will help reduce the shadows.

Hook up the lights with two switches and relays and you can use the floods only when you need them.

Do it right the first time !

Last edited by Scrambler82; 11-29-2006 at 11:03 AM..
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
93GC

For the optimum performance, long range should be on the roof, driving lights on the bumper and fog lights at or below the bumper.
But I'm not mounting anything below the bumper, i'd rather throw out a $50 bill while driving.
93GC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GC
For the optimum performance, long range should be on the roof, driving lights on the bumper and fog lights at or below the bumper.
But I'm not mounting anything below the bumper, i'd rather throw out a $50 bill while driving.

Maybe true but you have to consider the area that you will be wheeling in.

If you do Desert Racing then great the above holds true but if you wheel in a heavily wooded area then lights on top get knocked off or damaged, so on the bumper is the best.
Maybe mounted on a loop on the bumper is the way to go then they will be as high as possible.

cnel221, how's this going, Roof or Bumper ?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
cnel221

Thank You

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to go with both top and bumper. I don't really any driving in heavliy wooded areas, do i don't have to worry about the top lights being damaged. Thank you guys a lot for the help.
Unread 12-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
mylt1

also have to consider your state laws reguarding lights. some states dont allow more than 4 lights, which means if you have something like a chevy truck with the seprate low and hi beams there are your 4 lights. some states say you can only have 4 lights on at one time and some say no lights above the head lights. so check your laws first to avoid any trouble with the PO-PO.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
Combatsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1
also have to consider your state laws reguarding lights. some states dont allow more than 4 lights, which means if you have something like a chevy truck with the seprate low and hi beams there are your 4 lights. some states say you can only have 4 lights on at one time and some say no lights above the head lights. so check your laws first to avoid any trouble with the PO-PO.

what was it that NWA said?? F*** the police... F*** F*** F*** the police..
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.